Who can sign location release at a Catholic Church? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old September 4th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #1
Major Player

Who can sign location release at a Catholic Church?

The question pretty much says it all. I have a local priest who is willing to sign a location release for some shots inside and outside of a church, but is that good enough?

Is the local priest/pastor good enough, or does the Pope himself need to sign this thing? At what point in the hierarchy can an official sign and have it carry weight?

I'm assuming the local priest can't and that it's someone before the Pope. Any thoughts?
Lloyd Ubshura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #2
Major Player

We've shot twice in a church. Both times it was the administration that signed the release form, and we "donated" $50 to the church, which we put in the release form.

J.
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
At the risk of treading on dangerous ground: daily operations of the brick and mortar BUILDING are a business affair and someone within the organization will be tasked as a business manager, whether or not it is a member of the clergy. I would ASSUME that this person is fully capable of signing said release, possibly after consultation with any interested parties, clergy or otherwise.
Old September 6th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I've had releases signed in more than a few churches and in 95% of the cases it's been the preist. Big churches small and inbetween. No one will question the authory of the guy with the collar. At least not around my neighborhood.
Old September 6th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Ubshura View Post
The question pretty much says it all. I have a local priest who is willing to sign a location release for some shots inside and outside of a church, but is that good enough?

Is the local priest/pastor good enough, or does the Pope himself need to sign this thing? At what point in the hierarchy can an official sign and have it carry weight?

I'm assuming the local priest can't and that it's someone before the Pope. Any thoughts?
It's not really your concern if they're the last guy in the food chain (well, don't have any random passer-by sign it...) Whoever signs the release is also affirming that they have the authority to sign it. Your location release should have some wording to that effect ("I the undersigned declare that I have the authority to grant the above permission.")
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks guys. I didn't know anyone had even responded, looks like I gott'a fix my notification settings.

I've got the priest to sign the release, and added the phrase Chris mentioned. I'm sure everything will be fine.

Thanks everyone for your input!
Lloyd Ubshura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:19 PM   #7
Major Player

Here is my 2 cents. If someone with "ostensible authority" signs, you are probably safe. But who decides whether a local priest has it? (Personally...I think you are ok if the priest signs). Ideally it should be the Catholic Doicese which the church is in. I'd say THAT would be bulletproof.

Chris Swanberg
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business