Using information from articles of the 'net to make a movie at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old December 10th, 2004, 02:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Using information from articles of the 'net to make a movie

I have bookmarked a load of websites I got from posts here regarding copyrights in films. I plan on making a short film on the history of copyright.

Well, needless to say, I have my work cut out for me... lots n lots of reading to do. I'm hoping I can ask an easy question so I won't have to go through countless websites to find the answer...

When I use information I obtained from internet sources and wish to quote it in my film or, for that matter, just use the bulk of information to make my film - do I need to obtain permission to do so, is it necessary for me to acknowledge my sources of reference in my credits?

There is so much information regarding copyrights here that I didn't even know where to begin to find the answer. So, I'd thought I'd ask it now.

Sorry if this has been asked before... I really did check and could not come across anything!

Thanks.
Linda Schodowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2004, 05:35 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Linda,
It might behoove you to just retain an IP/Copyright attorney to clear your concerns for you. Many cities have an "Accountants and Lawyers for the Arts" program, that will offer you assistance for free or on a sliding scale.

There is no short answer to the general question you just posted. It is possible to create a film from information in the public domain.

There is a concept of "fair use" that might or might not apply for journalistic and educational purposes.

You may also need reproduction rights to include specific sections or images at length.

I know it is complicated, I just shake my head and realize it's all just job security for my wife. (She's an IP attorney).

Good luck
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2004, 06:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Richard...

Thanks for the advice. And, actually, I had an attorney in mind in the Cleveland area. His lawfirm specializes in entertainment law AND copyright laws. But I do not want to pay someone to tell me things that I can find easy answers to.

Not that I'm disrespecting what you're saying, but I did find a plethora of information on this subject. I figured it was an easily answered question. I will keep digging through my information I gathered from the 'net to see what I can find.

P.S. As for the lawyer, it is possible that I could use him as part of my short. I haven't made any solid plans yet for this film. Just been doing some head scratchin for now.
Linda Schodowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
When I use information I obtained from internet sources and wish to quote it in my film or, for that matter, just use the bulk of information to make my film - do I need to obtain permission to do so, is it necessary for me to acknowledge my sources of reference in my credits?
As Richard noted, given the potential for liability, you'd best consult your own attorney who, among other things, can provide you with a non-infringement opinion. A written non-infringement opinion is prima facie evidence that any infringement was non-intentional -- this is critical, both from the standpoint of CGL insurance coverage if you get sued, as well as limiting any liability for damages.

"Information" is not protected by copyright. The particular expression used to convey the information, however, is protectable, as is the sequence and arrangement of the information. Whether the specific information you propose to use, as well as the manner in which you propose to use it, is, unfortunately, _not_ a simple question, and not something that a lay person should attempt to answer.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business