DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Traveling to shoot (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/36890-traveling-shoot.html)

Ron Edwards December 25th, 2004 10:59 AM

Traveling to shoot

I will be shooting a wedding (son) in Las Vegas in May. Will be traveling out of ST. Louis.

Will shoot two GL2 cams, tri-pod, mics, etc.

Which is best method?

a.) travel with equipment (box and ship as baggage)

b.) send via UPS before hand

c.) rent equipment in Vegas

Rob Lohman December 29th, 2004 05:51 AM

I would say that depends on budget and your trust in things like
rental, airport luggage handlers or UPS/FedEx.

It might be best to let UPS/FedEx handle it (properly packaged!)
or get a rental there (if you can, make sure you can reserve the
equipment to make sure you have it).

I wouldn't trust a regular airline (what if it gets busted up or gets
lost?) and a rental might even be too risky for such a one time
event as a wedding?

Dylan Couper December 29th, 2004 10:56 AM

CARRY THE CAMERAS ON YOUR PERSON ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, that's about it. :)

Oh yeah, the rest of your gear... If you are flying, I just check the rest of my gear as baggage.

As far as UPS goes, I'd rather let my stuff be handled by drunk buffaloes than those people.

Boyd Ostroff December 29th, 2004 11:25 AM

I see this topic come up periodically but haven't paid much attention in the past. Well now it appears that I may be spending awhile working on a project in South America over the summer. I'll probably need to bring a fair amount of stuff with me (cameras, computers, monitors) - certainly more than I can carry on the plane. My initial thought is to buy/build some shipping cases and send everything ahead to the company I'll be working for so it will be there upon my arrival. Of course I would need to purchase adequate insurance in advance. Any thoughts on this?

Stephen Jackson December 29th, 2004 12:19 PM

When I travel I always carry my cameras on board with me, I'll check my clothes before my camera.

Also when traveling you have to be aware of weight restrictions airlines charge extra for items that weight over 50lbs or 80lbs at other airlines at those costs are high.

For international travel you need to check with the customs department to see what paperwork has to be filled and fees paid before you can enter and exit the country you're traveling to with your equiepment.

I do a lot of jobs on the road and I'll rent light kits, decks and so forth from the local AVHQ companies or if there are none in that city I'll check productionhub.com for a list of local companies.

Besides if you're the only person traveling you might want to look at renting the tripods, mics etc. and compare it to the cost of buying the cases and the additional cost of transporting the extra equipment. If you don't travel often the investment in the cases for this one time may not be the best investment of your money.

And in LV there are some good AV companies that can provide everything you need.