Film Permits: Your Experiences? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old January 21st, 2005, 06:08 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Re: Just received my packet!

<<<-- Originally posted by Rick Bravo : There is no reference to the illegality of shooting on a beach...day or night! -->>>

Please check the bottom of page 2: "The Department of Environmental Protection strongly discourages nighttime filming on nesting beaches during nesting season." Approx March 1 to October 31. Luckily, it's "discouraged", that means there's a chance to get a permit if we play our cards right.

Also, I'm noticing that not all counties are the same. All counties but one list mandatory permits for all filming with the $1M liability insurance. The exception is Collier County (Page 49) that states "Many locations are available with no permit or location fees."

The contact there is Maggie McCarty (1-239-659-FILM). I think I'll film in Collier County.
Rob Yannetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 07:16 PM   #32
Major Player

I can understand their concern because that area is a Sea Turtle habitat where most of the activity happens at night. That is the same reason that there are NO street lights on any of the Overseas Highway bridges in the Florida Keys. The light would actually confuse the turtles and basically screw up all manner of natural behaviors.

I have no problem with that.

If you have EVER worked on a professional film crew, a lot of the times producers couldn't give a good G*D damn about where they shoot or the repercussions of their actions. All they care about is their bottom line and getting the shot under budget.

Believe me when I tell you, I can relay some horror stories that I have experienced, first hand, that would leave you shaking your head.

Again, discouraged does not mean prohibited, it just means that they really want you to be careful with what you do, and that they would prefer you do it during the day!

You are absolutely correct. All counties are different, that is why we all have separate local governments. Although every county must abide by State rule, they are free to create and enforce their own laws based on their own needs.

RB
Old January 23rd, 2005, 07:43 AM   #33
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Rick Bravo : Believe me when I tell you, I can relay some horror stories that I have experienced, first hand, that would leave you shaking your head. -->>>

Do tell! And don't hold anything back. ^_^
Rob Yannetta is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business