tv show licensing! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old January 14th, 2005, 04:22 PM   #1
New Boot

tv show licensing!

Ok... was doing some research on the internet about licensing music and all that stuff! Here are some questions!

1. Do all the tv stations have to have a blanket license?

2. If you produce a local tv show that airs on the local tv station.. and if they have a blanket license.. are you protected with the license they have?

3. when talkin about music videos.. i just could play the videos the record companies send to me... but could i play a lot of diferent top 40 music on the background while the VJ's are just talking?

thanks!
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:50 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: tv show licensing!

<<<-- Originally posted by Fer Chu : Ok... was doing some research on the internet about licensing music and all that stuff! Here are some questions!

1. Do all the tv stations have to have a blanket license?

2. If you produce a local tv show that airs on the local tv station.. and if they have a blanket license.. are you protected with the license they have?

3. when talkin about music videos.. i just could play the videos the record companies send to me... but could i play a lot of diferent top 40 music on the background while the VJ's are just talking?
-->>>

1) As far as I know, the station still pays on a per use basis based on cue sheets of what song was used.

2) We are producing a local music show, aired on the l;ocal Fox affilaite. Their requirements were that ALL music was original to the bands performing it and that we aquired releases and licensing from the band for rights to the music. Basically that means no covers. That was not an issue for our concept which was to promiote local original music. Check it out at http://www.theundergroundtv.com

3) My best guess would be no, but you might want to open the discussion witht he station and have them check with their attorney.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business