DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Release Forms for Pics on Internet (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/41506-release-forms-pics-internet.html)

Dave Perry March 20th, 2005 07:02 PM

Release Forms for Pics on Internet

If I take pictures or video at my son's lacrosse practice and post it on the web with kids other than mine in it, should I get the parents to sign a release form?

I took some pictures at practice the other day and posted them online. I sent the link to the team mom so that she could pass it on to the mailing list for the team and she thought it was a good idea to run it by the coach first. He suggested that it not be sent out to the mailing list for the team just to avoid any kind of concerns or disagreement that any parents might have about their son's pictures being online.

I can understand that and respect the coach’s wishes, but if for some reason I was adamant about putting the pics or video online, do I need the parent's permission?

Dan Uneken March 21st, 2005 04:44 AM

I would just post the link, let everyone know, ask them to contact you if they have a problem and in that case put a big black blob over their precious Billie's face. For crying out loud!

Bob Costa March 21st, 2005 04:47 AM

Ask yourself how you would feel if someone posted pictures of your child on the Internet. In these days of net-pedophiles and such, it is reasonable that parents would object. I have a separate line in my standard client release that specifically mentions the Internet, and it can be separated from other permissions.

Dan Uneken March 21st, 2005 04:55 AM

I understand that this is a purely amateur use of the pictures, mainly to be seen by the participants. I assume the pics were not taken in the shower.
How "careful" can you get and what good will it do?
But I guess if this is the way people feel...

Bob Costa March 21st, 2005 11:35 AM

One option would be to put a password on the files, and then make the passwword available only to the team. I would think that would solve most objections.

Dave Perry March 21st, 2005 02:35 PM

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I've considered password protecting the directory. I've also put myself in their position and tried to see how I would feel if someone whos kid was a teammate of my son posted pictures online. It would not bother me under those circumstances. Obviously if someone I didn't know had taken pictures with out my or my son's knowledge and posted them online, that would be a different story.

I guess what I need to know, is what I've done illegal or not?

Jimmy McKenzie March 21st, 2005 03:37 PM

Hi Dan,
Dave's concerns are valid. Perhaps privacy laws are different in Europe, but over here expressed written permission means just that. This is a private entity and not a public venue and the rules that govern fair use are different for both. As for Viginia, you might want to ask a sporting event photographer about their process. They post thousands of images every week for prospective buyers to peruse. I'm sure they have vetted out the specifics.

Kelvin Kelm March 21st, 2005 04:42 PM

When I signed my kid up for Little League baseball this year, one of the forms that the League had all participants sign was a photo release form. I don't remember if it said anything specific about the internet. This year they have photographers taking action photos at the games that get posted to the web. This day and age, you can't be too careful.

Nick Vizzone March 25th, 2005 02:00 PM

Hey Dave,

In Virginia (at least until recently) it is legal to take up-skirt pictures of women in public. So I don't think you are violating any laws by taking pictures of a public event (I'm assuming the Lacrosse practice is at a public venue) and putting them on a personal website.

Of course, I wouldn't take legal advice from some schmoe like me on the internet either. ;~>