Question: How can the NEWS go around shooting stuff and talking to people and... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old March 26th, 2005, 10:10 AM   #16
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Brent Marks : How do all these news tabloid tv shows like e-t, extra, etc.... all exist???

Selling their paper, advertisements, classifieds, ...

---

oops in case of TV it is pretty much advertisement of course and i guess cable and satellite providers have to pony up too

Old March 26th, 2005, 10:59 AM   #17
Major Player

No... I mean... they can't get releases for all that they do... How can they legally exist without those?

B
Brent Marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 03:37 PM   #18
Major Player

Notice that they cover BIG stars and are usually in public places. BIG stars are newsworthy. Local bands, less so.
That, combined with DEEEEEEEP pockets to pay attorneys! (they probably have more attorneys than you or I have underwear)
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 06:34 PM   #19
Inner Circle

I have no personal knowledge of the inner workings of Entertainment Tonight, but it seems fairly clear that show and all of its imitators air carefully coordinated, and possibly paid for, promotional material. The're basically extra long commercials with a little gossip thrown in.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2005, 02:26 AM   #20
Regular Crew

news / audio

Seeing the earlier comments regarding audio I just had to chime in....last week a atty, at the trial Im covering was outside shouting on his cellphone. It was outside of the courthouse and within view of the press covering this story, a very sharp soundtech from CourtTV pointed his shotgun that way and got some great stuff.

It aired as a big story on their network and was covered in the print press as well, it was perfectly ok for the CourtTV audio tech to get that sound it was on a public property and we( the press) were there he ( the atty) was stupid enough to vent where a mic could get the sound.

As for whether or not you qualify as legit. press well there is every one of the ent. press at this trial for the most part they are just as good/legit if not as good or better than everyone else. In addition some websites have reporting staff there...its worth noting some of the reporting staff for these said websites are also officers in fanclubs for the defendent in the case. In addition "the daily show" got a press pass which granted them entrance into the press only area so it makes one think the lines can get blurred, my advice for you. You should apply for a press pass from some govt. agency. whether it be police, courts, govt boards etc. Once you have this approval it should grant you some leeway on being newsy.

However if you steal footage without paying for it, or defame someone they can come after you. if you use good judgement you should be fine. Best of luck on your show.

M

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business