Talent owes me money... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old April 14th, 2005, 01:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Talent owes me money...

I just finished a second instructional video with a talent in Florida (I'm in CA). Before we started filming, we got 6 sponsors at $100ea and 40 pre-orders at $25ea. This time around, I told him to hang onto the money from the orders and sponsorship to help with the plane ticket, hotel, etc. After filming and production was finished, I send out all the orders on my own quarter and put the ~$900 he owed me on a 'tab'. As I make internet sales, I reduce the amount he owes. The wording is clear in our contract that I would get my share of the funds due, and I'm sure that I will over time...but I'm only expecting about 100 sales a year and at that rate, it's going to be a couple years before he can pay down his tab.

What do you think I should do in this situation. I'm not going to LOSE money, but at the same time, I'm not going to GAIN any money in the short term. Should I bill him for the amount due or let it ride?
Jeremy Rank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2005, 11:53 AM   #2
Major Player

You should look back to what your written contract deal was and live up to it.
Bob Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 01:36 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hopefully you have a written agreement. But if you don't, hopefully both of you will live up to your verbal agreement as well.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business