Licensing music and how you can use it. at

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old October 14th, 2002, 12:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 60
Licensing music and how you can use it.

I'm trying to get some music licensed to use in my video and I was wondering if you guys can answer some questions for me.

Ok, if I license a song to use in my video, can i do anything to the song (within reason) or does all this have to be cleared with the band/right holder first

Some example of what i'm talking about are:

1. Cut off the beggining of the song and start the song 10-15 seconds into the song.

2. Do the same thing as above only to the end of the song

3. Loop a section of the song ie: take a 8 second guitar riff and loop it to a 16 second riff.

4. cut the song in the middle so that I have 1 or 2 seconds in the video where the action and music all just stop and then continue where it left of off.

5. put an echo effect on a part of the song.

If anybody knows, please let me know. If i have to check with the rights holder first, thats fine, I just didn't want to do anything wrong or bother the rights holder with silly questions.

Jim Ioannidis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2002, 05:09 AM   #2
Regular Crew
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Borås, Sweden
Posts: 167
Most of the time you should run it by the licenseholders. legally its up to limited rights you have obtained in writing from the licenseholder but even if that states that you can do whatever you want with it, its always good practise to show them how you will treat their work.

Henrik Bengtsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2002, 08:12 AM   #3
Inner Circle
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: San Mateo, CA
Posts: 3,840
The best rule of thumb regarding using music you didn't create yourself.....


There are NUMEROUS legal issues involved. Not the least of which is you will need a Synchronization License, and a Master Use license.

Students and Indies can work what are called "Step Deals" that pay more as the exposure goes up...

But read all about music rights at

Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

(800) 223-2500
New York, NY

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Texas Media Systems
(512) 440-1400
Austin, TX

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

(800) 323-2325
Mineola, NY

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:52 AM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2018 The Digital Video Information Network