the salary thang... don't sweat it - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old October 13th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #31
Trustee

Put down the Kool Aid and step away.

It's always easier to lower your price or fee than it is to raise it. This is why the dealer doesn't offer a price lower than you're willing to pay for a car.

If you don't negotiate, reasonably of course, then you will leave money on the table that you will never get back. Ever. It's gone. Poof.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #32
Regular Crew

exactly.
Don't pass up opportunity in the name of foolish pride.
We're all saying the same thing.
lol
Grinner Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #33
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinner Hester View Post
ditto.
Understand that if you try to skip the proper experience to run your own video company, you'll just be undemployed with an overhead when ya purchase gear. You are learning much more than technical techniques when interning and much more than business when running a department later on. Skip these things and you are greatly handicapping yourself when your competition has been there and done that. Warehouse work is simply not the proper training for the job.
Well I can't afford to work for nothing since I got myself into debt when I was younger and stupider. But I've nearly paid it all off now, so it's either go work for someone else for nothing probably doing video work I'm not even interested in, or buy my own gear (get into debt again, but for something worthwhile) and do what I want. I might work full time in a warehouse at the moment but I still shoot videos in my spare time, even took a week of holiday leave and did a corporate video for $1600. I'm still reading books/forums & doing short courses etc. I've worked for small video production houses in the past so I've got a little bit of experience.
Rhys Day is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business