Freelance Deposition at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old October 8th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Freelance Deposition

Can anyone tell me what are the guidelines for working for multiple firms doing deposition work. I'm only getting 1 to 2 days a week at this firm and I was thinking of doing work for other court reporting firms in the area. Would this be considered improper? It's not as if I'm trying to steal clients, I see it as offering my services during my down time, but it might be viewed as crossing the line and competing against them. Since I'm new to this type of work I'd like to learn the accepted guidelines before broaching this topic with the company I'm working for.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 07:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Before one of the heavyweights weighs in, let me begin the conversation by asking:
- the gear is yours, correct?
- did the firm you are currently working for/with provide you with specific training to do depositions? If they did, they MAY have a non-compete clause in something you may have signed.
Old October 8th, 2009, 08:32 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
- the gear is yours, correct?
Yes, everything except the mixer which I'm getting ready to buy based on what they say. But yeah I wouldn't consider using their equipment. That's a no brainer.
Quote:
- did the firm you are currently working for/with provide you with specific training to do depositions? If they did, they MAY have a non-compete clause in something you may have signed.
I'm pretty sure I didn't but I signed the regular application form where they ask if they can call your references.

The only part I do feel like I owe them for the training.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If you're an independent contractor and haven't signed an agreement which would prohibit you from working for a competitor, I don't see any reason you can't. If they want you to be exclusively theirs, they can make you an employee and put you on the payroll at a full-time salary - otherwise they can't expect you to give up earning a living to sit at home waiting on the chance the phone will ring. Of course, the first outfit would also be within their rights not to hire you for any more gigs from them, that's their call as well. But I can't see that happening - after all, hiring freelancers means they're going to be working for whoever offers a gig that day.
Old October 8th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
If you're an independent contractor and haven't signed an agreement which would prohibit you from working for a competitor, I don't see any reason you can't. If they want you to be exclusively theirs, they can make you an employee and put you on the payroll at a full-time salary - otherwise they can't expect you to give up earning a living to sit at home waiting on the chance the phone will ring. Of course, the first outfit would also be within their rights not to hire you for any more gigs from them, that's their call as well. But I can't see that happening - after all, hiring freelancers means they're going to be working for whoever offers a gig that day.
Good that's what I was thinking, but I'm still am going to have a talk with him so it doesn't look like I'm doing things behind his back.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business