Insurance for a week for Post at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old December 14th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Insurance for a week for Post

So I plan on going freelance again after February, been working at a post house for 2 years straight. I mainly focus on color correction and know I will be renting color critical monitors, scopes and perhaps decks to play out to. My question is, is there any insurance company that is more directed towards post and who does a good deal for a 2 week rate rather than a year rate? I have been trying to find some good places and think I have found some but I seem to come in under the radar for a lot of these places due to my low equipment cost ($10,000 - $15,000 maybe) and short time spans. Any suggestions?
James Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 12:47 AM   #2
Equal Opportunity Offender

Perhaps the insurance could be handled by the place that you are renting the equipment from? They would have a business model that is more suited to this ... plus ultimately it's their gear that they can't afford to lose.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Schedule it on your home owners or renters insurance. When you finish with the job, take it off.
Corey Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
Perhaps the insurance could be handled by the place that you are renting the equipment from? They would have a business model that is more suited to this ... plus ultimately it's their gear that they can't afford to lose.

Andrew
Here in NYC, most rental places do not offer insurance anymore. You have to provide it yourself or have a very good credit balance on your credit cards. My business insurance doesn't normally cover rentals but it's a $250 rider when I need it.
Old December 15th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #5
Equal Opportunity Offender

That's a shame. Most probably cheaper (and less hassle) to hire someone to guard the gear while it is in your possession (say, if you are out on a shoot or something).

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #6
Major Player

The company I want to rent monitors from has it's own insurance I can buy while I rent their stuff which is great. I would still need to figure out decks and other things I would need for a specific project. Perhaps I'll get renters insurance and throw that stuff on when it comes up.
James Brill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business