Editing Rates?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old June 29th, 2005, 08:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Editing Rates??

Okay I have a question for everyone here if they wouldn't mind giving me a ballpark. About a month ago now I was asked to edit a montage of clips down to make a 5-10 min clip then set that to music. This was to be played on a LCD projector before a dance recital. I agreed to do it and said that I would need the footage at least a week before it was needed. I asked for 5-10 clips. The date I stated came a went and i finally recieved the footage the following friday. The event was that sunday so I got the dvd of raw footage (which was over an hour long with 60+ clips) with 2 days to do it. The topper was I also got a call for a paying job that saturday, but i was already too far into the editing to stop. They release a dvd of the recital every year and now want to include the montage i put together in the dvd.

My question is... what would something like this had cost if i hadn't done it for them? If they just want to an editor they didn't know?
Keith Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 12:29 AM   #2
Major Player

Hard to say, but let me think out loud...

$0 - $200 for whatever Royalty Free music I choose to use.
Load clips from DVD - 5 minutes
Watch entire hour of footage, selecting subclips as I go - 2 hours
Choose music - 0.5 - 1 hour
Final Edit 2 hours ?
Titles, Credits, DVD menu & assemble/burn DVD 1 hour

So six hours work at $75 (higher for corporate work) would be about $450. plus music charges.

How long did it really take you? What did you actually charge?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business