Editing Rates?? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old June 29th, 2005, 08:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew
Editing Rates??

Okay I have a question for everyone here if they wouldn't mind giving me a ballpark. About a month ago now I was asked to edit a montage of clips down to make a 5-10 min clip then set that to music. This was to be played on a LCD projector before a dance recital. I agreed to do it and said that I would need the footage at least a week before it was needed. I asked for 5-10 clips. The date I stated came a went and i finally recieved the footage the following friday. The event was that sunday so I got the dvd of raw footage (which was over an hour long with 60+ clips) with 2 days to do it. The topper was I also got a call for a paying job that saturday, but i was already too far into the editing to stop. They release a dvd of the recital every year and now want to include the montage i put together in the dvd.

My question is... what would something like this had cost if i hadn't done it for them? If they just want to an editor they didn't know?
Keith Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 12:29 AM   #2
Major Player
Hard to say, but let me think out loud...

$0 - $200 for whatever Royalty Free music I choose to use.
Load clips from DVD - 5 minutes
Watch entire hour of footage, selecting subclips as I go - 2 hours
Choose music - 0.5 - 1 hour
Final Edit 2 hours ?
Titles, Credits, DVD menu & assemble/burn DVD 1 hour

So six hours work at $75 (higher for corporate work) would be about $450. plus music charges.

How long did it really take you? What did you actually charge?
You are either growing or dying.
Bob Costa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business