DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   question about locations..permits? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/47067-question-about-locations-permits.html)

Pete Mander July 1st, 2005 12:56 PM

question about locations..permits?

helllo everyone

I have a film project And one of the locations i would like to use is the local armoury if be the front or some shots inside.. how do I go about getting permission..I mean maby some sort of papers?..a script ? what do I show the people that run the place in order to show them I am serious about doing a film. or convince them since I am not a offical film director.

Hope i explained it right.. LMK if you need more info.

thanks

Pete

Bob Costa July 1st, 2005 11:59 PM

If you are in front of the building in a public area, you are likely okay but I don't know Canadian law (or US law for that matter). Military installations are a lot more jumpy than they used to be, so I would be inclined to at least let them know. You may also need film permits, etc in public areas...

As far as approaching them to shoot inside, just go see whoever is in charge and explain what you need. Don't offer a script unless they ask for one. A script treatment may satisfy them even then. And they might just say yes with no fuss no bother. Then get a standard location release signed so it doesn't come back at you later, and get it done.

Pete Mander July 2nd, 2005 02:06 AM

thanks

quess all they could say is no.:)

Pete

Steve House July 2nd, 2005 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Amder
thanks

quess all they could say is no.:)

Pete

Almost every military installation has a public relations officer. All it takes is a phone call to find out what's required. <g>

K. Forman July 2nd, 2005 12:42 PM

"quess all they could say is no."

After 9/11, they might just ask you to "come downtown with us...".

Steve House July 2nd, 2005 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Forman

Not quite as paranoid here in Canada as soouth of the border. LOL

Mark Williams July 2nd, 2005 03:59 PM

Being a U.S. government bureaucrat all I can say is you would be suprised what you can get accomplished with a upbeat, friendly and positive attitude. I have approved many local filming projects w/o a permit or fee. Lots of times it depends on time of day and how much it will inconvience the staff at the filming site.

Regards,

Mark

Dylan Couper July 2nd, 2005 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Forman

Sorry Keith, it ain't like that up here in Canada.
They say:
"Come downtown with us, PLEASE."

Heh heh heh. :)