Movie clips for a video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old November 1st, 2002, 07:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Movie clips for a video

Ok, I know this sounds like a stupid question but.... I'm producing a video for a non profit org that is trying to raise money to renovate a vintage movie theatre. They want me to use clips from old movies in the video. Is there any way I can legally do this?
Becky McMillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2002, 07:47 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Becky,

I know this is a cliché thing to say...but when we say it here, we mean it..."there is no such thing as a stupid question."

I'm no expert on this, but I think it depends on how "vintage" you're talking about. I believe anything over a certain number of years becomes public domain (75 is it?)...which is why you see some web sites offering old, old films in their entirety online for free (I just watched "Nosferatu" last night). But be careful...I'm sure someone somewhere owns the rights to some of the more famous films from Chaplin, Keaton, etc.

So, if the silent flicks aren't too vintage for you, then you can find some available at the Library of Congress site. You'll also see information for each one telling you whether it's now public domain. My company just ordered some footage of famous public domain speeches on video. Of course, there's a fee involved...plus shipping.

And if you just need snippets of vintage movies, there are stock houses where you can download footage for a price.

Good luck.
Old November 1st, 2002, 10:18 AM   #3

Becky--

Check out:

http://www.publicdomainmovies.com/index2.html

Write down the movies you'd like to use, go to their database, search and see if the movies you selected are in the public domain. If they are, rent them or buy them on DVD, for best quality, and take out the clips you want/need.

It would be a great gesture to acknowledge the original artists/production companies--just a thought.

Hope this helps!
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2002, 09:34 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey, thanks! I'll try both of those suggestions.

Becky
Becky McMillen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business