a newbie asks: do i need a ftp site? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old April 30th, 2010, 05:55 AM   #16
Major Player

yousendit.com I use it every day and it works like a charm!
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 07:00 AM   #17
Major Player

Ditto on YouSendIt...

I have no FTP site...and getting an FTP client to work consistently has been a constant time-suck for me over the years.

Once i went to YouSendIt, that was the end of my FTPing anything...ever again.

I think my account costs 6.00 USD a month or something. No-brainer from my perspective.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:41 PM   #18
Major Player

I used to use Yousendit but now use Dropbox instead.

Dropbox - Home - Online backup, file sync and sharing made easy.

Works like a charm and no need to open your browser. You just drag and drop to your public folder and then send your client the URL.

It's great and the file space is very generous. The free version is enough for me and I suspect most other people.
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:49 AM   #19
Trustee

Both ftp sites and yousendit services have their advantages and disadvantages depending on the situation.
I have been known to have a few clients who do not provide complete air info. So at the most inopportune time... can yousendit to station X. I can tell you that got old real quick.
Instead, I have created a hidden ftp folder in my website on Godaddy which contains each client folder, along with user name and passwords for each one. I then simply upload the commercial to the appropriate folder, and email the client a link to the commercial along with user name and password information.
Which frees me from dealing with who gets the spot & do they have it, and puts that back into the clients corner, so I can get on to more important things like posting on DVinfo.

All the Best!

Last edited by David W. Jones; May 4th, 2010 at 11:28 AM.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 06:32 AM   #20
Major Player

I do distribution via YouSendIt... The file is only up for two weeks, but usually that's enough. If the client can't get me all the email addresses, I YouSendIt to myself and simply forward the email with the link to the client and they take care of it... It's been fine for me.

Now...that said, this DropBox thing that Marcus suggests looks interesting... It's more expensive than what I pay for YouSendIt (I think I pay 6.00 USD a month), but no file deletion deadline and a good amount of space at the lowest paid level...

Intriguing. Thanks Marcus.
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:45 AM   #21
Major Player

The thing about Dropbox v Yousendit is with Yousendit you pay for the bandwidth used. With Dropbox you only pay for the file space you require at any given time.

So if you never need more than 2gb of space at any one time, the free version of Dropbox is for you. The problem with Yousend it is that on the free offer you always end up running out of bandwidth at the most inconvenient moment. I also found some of their emails fell foul of spam filters at the clients end as well. With Dropbox you send your own email.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business