website flash only at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:53 PM   #1
Trustee

website flash only

I have a flash website and I'm wondering if there are people out there who 'can't' see it - should I have a matching HTML one as well???
Old March 24th, 2010, 06:44 AM   #2
Trustee

The last numbers I saw show that Flash has a 98% penetration, so 2% of web users can't see your site.

However, just because 98% can see it doesn't mean that they're going to hang around long enough for your site to load. Unless the visitor has more than just a passing interest in what you have to say, the odds are good they'll move on as soon as they see that "loading..." screen. I'm on a typical home connection right now (1.5 meg) and it took way too long to load.

Very few sites have a good reason for being Flash-only, and most of those are game sites for kids. I know you spent good money on a Flash template but if I were you, I'd totally ditch it and use the HTML version. Perhaps if you're adept at Flash development, you could still use some small flash elements with your HTML.

BTW, this is all Google sees of your website: site:relive-the-day.com - Google Search
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I would endorse all negatives that Chris cites & add a few of my own. Irritating tinkly little bells & a sound like ringing up a sale on a cash register are off-putting to me. The novelty of the sounds & the simple animation will wear off very quickly. The biggest downsides are that people can't see your site (100% of iPhone users for example) & Google won't lead any visitors to you.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 03:43 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
A little bit different experience here in Canada - from what I understand, REAL high speed Internet doesn't have quite the penetration in the US as it does here in Canada. I'm on typical High Speed (Cable) here and load time for the main page was under 3 seconds and fly outs were available in under 1 second, which to me is perfectly acceptable.

I will concur with the sound effects though. If you're going to use SFX, perhaps just a subtle WHOOSH instead of the submarine Sonar... got old quick.

The other caveat I would put forward in terms of GENERAL discussion is that Flash may have 98% penetration BUT most of the 2% will likely be corporate LAN computers. IF your website is designed to be viewed from work and not from home, having an HTML fall back may make a lot of sense.
Old March 24th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #5
Major Player

It all loaded fast for me. I'm on cable connection.

The sounds I can take or leave. There is an obvious on/off switch for the sound and that's good.

But I will tell you something that I absolutely hate about your site and so many other sites that follow the same trend nowadays and that's the freaking small font pastel text on white background. Now I don't want you to misunderstand me because I have nothing against you personally.

For me though, the eyes are not as sharp as they were once. The low contast between text and background coupled with a small font makes it extremely difficult for me to read at length. I didn't bother reading it. I just wonder how many of your potential paying customers will have difficulty reading it and just move along.

I'm not going to turn this thread into a discussion about text size and color. I just thought you may be interested in hearing an opinion reagrding how some folks have a very hard time reading with such a low text to background contrast.

Jeff
Jeff Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Emery View Post
There is an obvious on/off switch for the sound and that's good.
You with your text, me with switches... I missed the "obvious" on/off switch but hey, I openly admit I look for content and not controls... I LIVE by Facebook and can't remember where half the menus are anymore...
Old March 25th, 2010, 06:01 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Emery View Post

But I will tell you something that I absolutely hate about your site and so many other sites that follow the same trend nowadays and that's the freaking small font pastel text on white background.
Jeff
I have to agree with you - I find it hard to read - I was going to change it but I figured the only people interested in the site are young women about to get married, not an old bloke like me.

I guess I'l have to put in the effort to complete a HTML copy and see what happens

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business