Protection Plan? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old May 1st, 2010, 12:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Protection Plan?

Hello I am about to purchase either the fx7 or fx1000 from BH, and I was wondering if I should buy the protection plan. My only reason for wanting it is because of the accidental damage part, because I'm going to film a lot of skateboarding so my cam will be close to flying boards. So my question is can anyone tell me how BH handles damage cases that I may encounter?
Matt McMeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 01:06 PM   #2
Inner Circle

B&H just sells the plan but doesn't handle the claims, AFAIK. It's usually a third party and there may be exclusions for the type of activity you describe. I'd read the plan very, very carefully before buying.
Old May 1st, 2010, 01:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I did read through it and I even called them and asked, but that just seems to good to be true. That is why I am wondering if anyone has dealt with them about this. I just dont wanna spend $300 on something and it turns out its pointless.
Old May 1st, 2010, 02:19 PM   #4
Major Player

I bought one of the B&H warranties when I bought my EX1. When the prism block croaked they covered it, saving me $2,500-. When I bought my EX1R I bought another policy from them. fwiw-
Old May 1st, 2010, 05:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm glad i joined this forum because i do not even know what a prism block is. But you guys think its worth the extra money.
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:03 AM   #6
Trustee

My guiding financial principle has been: "I buy insurance to protect myself from financial disaster, not financial inconvenience."

Someone being horribly maimed on my set would mean financial disaster for me, so I buy liability insurance. A camera problem may cost me a $1,000 repair, but that's simply inconvenient.

If instead of buying all these little extended warranties (insurance policies), you would put that money in a savings account, you soon would have a repair fund with a balance that would far exceed any possible "inconvenience".
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Try looking into a Mack warranty. Mack Camera & Video Service | Worldwide Extended Service Contracts
Corey Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business