DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Satellite Uplink Equipment List? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/478375-satellite-uplink-equipment-list.html)

Lisa Bennett May 9th, 2010 02:37 PM

Satellite Uplink Equipment List?

I realize their are costs to uplinking, and many factors to consider. For now, I would like to locate a list of the equipment that is needed to set up an uplink in a vehicle or fixed location. Thanks for any info and input you can provide.

Chris Davis May 9th, 2010 03:33 PM

There are companies that sell complete turnkey systems. I'd take a look at their websites and start my list by seeing what equipment they offer.

Lisa Bennett May 9th, 2010 03:44 PM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I'm searching the net for info and tutorials but have not seen a list of the actual equipment needed to send a taped program and/or live show to the uplink. I have found out a few of the items needed such as router, modulator, up converter, power amplifier.

LB

Rick L. Allen May 9th, 2010 06:41 PM

The equipment list is varied depending upon power output, redundancy, input requirements and a host of other factors. You need to go to a company experienced in building ground based facilities or uplink trucks. At the very least if you don't have experience in this field then you need to hire an experienced engineer to help you spec and design your system. This is not information that can be gleaned from "internet tutorials" or from web searches.

If it's only a temporary need then just hire an uplink truck for the event. It's much more cost effective and you'll have experienced pros handling the technical details.

Lisa Bennett May 9th, 2010 08:20 PM

I agree it is a specialty all it's own. Looking to learn all I can about the process.

LB

David W. Jones May 10th, 2010 07:29 AM

It would be much cheaper to purchase a used uplink truck that is being replaced, than to build one from scratch as they are very expensive to build.

FYI... You will also need to be licensed to operate said uplink truck.

Sean Walsh May 10th, 2010 09:35 AM

I'm not sure if this is strictly what you're after, but BGAN systems and M-Link are great for uplinking news footage from remote environments.

Have a look at :Livewire Digital Ltd - Home page

Of course, if it's a live show you're uplinking with several cameras etc then that takes you into another league.

Sean

Shaun Roemich May 11th, 2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David W. Jones (Post 1525143)
It would be much cheaper to purchase a used uplink truck that is being replaced, than to build one from scratch as they are very expensive to build.

FYI... You will also need to be licensed to operate said uplink truck.

When I was working for the Canadian national public broadcaster, our Sat truck was worth between $1-1.5 million dollars, or so I was told...

Not only do you need to be licensed to OPERATE the truck, you need to buy sat time as well. We were partitioned onto one of the ANIKs if memory serves correctly...

As well, due to the onboard hardware necessary, NORMALLY a dually truck/van chassis is required, which then necessitates additional licensing requirements. We had ours built on a non-dually E350 chassis and had some issues with weight at the tires until that got worked out.