Can you guys review this location contract please? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old July 29th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Can you guys review this location contract please?

Here is a contract I was given for a location we're renting. I've taken out the company name so none of this shows up on search engine results inadvertently....

Permission is hereby granted by ******* for the purpose of photographing and recording scenes with the right to exhibit and license others to exhibit all or any part of said scenes: local, national, international; said permission shall include the right to bring personnel and equipment (including props and temporary sets) onto said property and to remove the same after completion of work.

Producer’s shall have use of the Premises on August 7, 8 and 9, 2010 at the agreed upon rental price of $500 per day ($1500 total) to be paid in advance prior to Producer’s entry into the Premises. Producer may use the Premises from 1pm - 11pm daily. Any use of the Premises after August 9, 2010 will require prior written consent of the Landlord and Producer agrees to pay the Landlord additional rent at the rate of $100 per hour.

The undersigned does hereby warrant and represent that the undersigned has full right and authority to enter into this agreement concerning the Premises, and that the consent or permission of no other person, firm or corporation is necessary in order to enable Producer to enjoy full rights to the use of the Premises and that the undersigned does hereby indemnify and agree to hold Producer harmless for any and all loss, not limited to attorneys fees, arising from, growing out of, or concerning a breach of the above warranty.

Producer shall be responsible for all damages to the Premises not limited to the maple floors, walls or improvements.

In an effort to preserve the hardwood floors all crew gear, props and lighting must have all feet covered with a protective cover so as to not leave any indentions or scratches into any of the floors. Items will not be attached to any part of the building or walls without Landlord’s prior written consent.

If Landlord refers this matter to an attorney for the collection of delinquent rent or for the enforcement of any other terms or provisions of this Agreement or any other matter arising out of this Agreement, the Landlord shall be entitled to recover its court costs and attorneys' fees.

My concerns are pretty much the damages section. The building is 100 years old and stuff is messed up everywhere. Maybe do a videotaped walkthrough ebfore filming?

Also, the attorney fees part is sketchy. There is no distinction between if they win or not. Seems if I fought them in court and won I'd still be liable for his attorney fees?

The company has been in the city for a long time and they rent this place (art gallery) out all the time for exhibits, concerts, wedding etc. I am not from this city though and don't want to be that guy...

Any advice is appreciated.
Old July 30th, 2010, 06:22 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Run it by your own attorney. An online forum is not the place to get proper legal advice. That being said, it looks pretty staightforward and reasonable to me. It says basically that in exchange for giving you permission to shoot, in addition to paying the rent you guarantee you'll leave it as you found it none the worse for wear. Pretty much normal practice.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business