Info needed about TV broadcast of my work at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old August 30th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #1
New Boot

Info needed about TV broadcast of my work

I was contracted to produce a video for a non profit. It is a documentary of services. Now, a benefactor is going to sponsor the production to be aired on several local TV stations as a 30 minute program. In the contract I retained copyright and broadcast rights of the production. I speculated that the desire to broadcast this piece would occur.

My question: Who will need my written consent for broadcast and what is the normal rate of compensation for single broadcast rights?

This is the first time I have found myself in this position and would appreciate advice from those that have already "been there, done that".
Jay Jelliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 10:07 AM   #2
New Boot

91 views and no answer. Hmmmmm, suddenly I feel better about not knowing the answer myself
Jay Jelliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 10:25 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I think we don't have enough information. If the program is going to be aired on "several" local stations it sounds as if someone (the organization) is simply buying the airtime from the station in the off-hours to air the show. I suppose in this case you'd need to negotiate with them for the permissions to air it.

I also would think that just because it's in your contract that you retained the copyright and broadcast rights doesn't necessarily mean you actually have those rights, unless you've filed all the paperwork with the Library of Congress to establish the copyright is yours.

It's possible that they, as the clients, actually have those rights no matter what is in your contract.

But I'm not a lawyer of any kind, just guessing based on what I've read from similar threads in the past, so I probably shouldn't comment at all (and this may be why you've had no other responses so far... there are only a couple of IP lawyers who frequent these forums and they probably haven't had a chance to see your post yet). Your best bet is to contact an actual IP attorney.

But until then, there are others around here who know a lot more about this stuff than I do, and maybe they'll have a chance to weigh in soon.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 06:25 AM   #4
Inner Circle

What do you mean by it being a "documentary of services?" Are you referring to religious services or a documentary about the service trades and occupations such as plumbing, law, or waiting tables or perhaps the services available from a particular company or industry? It matters because some of the rules regarding copyright, music clearances, that sort of thing can be different for broadcasts of religious services versus other kinds of broadcasting, even including other kinds of religious broadcasting. And if you're talking about religious services, a broadcast of a religious service (such as would be directed toward worshippers who are unable to attend in person) is different from the broadcasting of a documentary about religious services.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:59 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Interestingly, I read that as the non-profit being a charity of some kind and the video being a documentary about the services they offer. More stuff that needs clarification, I suppose.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business