Director's vision letter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old November 17th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #1
Major Player

Director's vision letter

Hello!

I've been asked to write my first director's vision letter for a production company to consider me as Director's candidate.
The problem is, although I have an idea what they would like me to write about (My view on characters, technical solutions?) I don't really know. And I'd hate to screw up this opportunity just due to ignorance.

Does anybody know what it entails? Is there perhaps one on-line somewhere for me to have a look at? Any answer is much appreciated, I've been waiting for a break for ages.

Thank you.
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Alfred,

is this letter for a particular project or is it to be a general overview of your vision as a director. And when do you have to deliver it?

Cheers.
Old November 17th, 2010, 03:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Hello Allan!

I have co-written a script that a production company has showed some interest in. They want me to produce a letter (which I imagine refers to the script).
The production company wants to attach a different director to the movie but has asked me for my CV and this letter.
There's no dead-line to the letter but I guess, the sooner the better...

Thanks.
Old November 17th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Well don't rush it you need some inspiration mate :) Mmmmm Rio, should be some inspiration down on the beach, it certainly gave me some when I was there. Is it comedy, drama, swords and sandals?

What drives you, music? and you wrote it, that's a head start. Google Film Directors vision letter.

I'd write it in a series of drafts over a few days and keep slipping in the notion of staying within budget. Start preliminary casting, crew, locations, practical stuff .. when they say you've got the gig you can come right back to them :)

Cheers.
Old November 17th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #5
Major Player

That's the thing Allan. Google's letting me down. I can't find anything on the topic anywhere for me to get an idea what it really is..
Should it contain practical things like cast, crew and locations and not be directed at my interpretations of the text and story?
Do you have one that I could have a look at perhaps? =)
Old November 17th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I'd write a synopsis of the characters, their visions, hopes and ideals, discuss the story line and its conclusion. Write it as an in depth extension of your script .. include what impressions and mood you want to leave your audiences with.

Don't include your cast suggestions at this stage but have them ready when you get the gig .. that'll boost the impression you give them. Sorry I don't have a sample, I make this stuff as I go along. Sleeping on your ideas is good too.

Cheers.

Last edited by Allan Black; November 17th, 2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: more details.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 02:41 AM   #7
Major Player

Thank you Allan.

I'll give it a go.. If you (or anybody else) finds anything posted on-line somewhere, I'd greatly appreciate the link.

Cheers.
Old November 19th, 2010, 12:52 AM   #8
Trustee

Maybe you have this covered -

A director's vision can be defined as what that director in particular can bring to a project that someone else can't. There's no form or formula for this sort of thing. What they are trying to evaluate is:
1. Does the director 'feel' for the story?
2. Does the director have what it takes to bring the script on to screen in a professional manner?
3. Can the director do it within the budget and schedule stipulated?
4. Is the director a good communicator?
5. Is this particular individual the right choice for this project, as opposed to directors X, Y or Z?

If you haven't made films before, or films in the same genre/budgets/scope/etc before, then your statement becomes your pitch.

Some hard questions:
1. How are you going to bring this film under budget? What is your strategy? Studio v/s Location? Live action vs vfx? A-list actors vs no-name actors? What kind of favors can you pull?
2. What is your marketing plan, distribution plan, etc? What can you offer in this regard? How good is your PR? How can you leverage your contacts to help this particular project?
3. Why are you engaging this particular producer/production company? What personally draws you to them, and why should they be drawn to you? How can you help each other achieve your common goals? What are your common goals?
4. How are you going to pick your cast and crew? Do you already have people in place who are experienced? Who has committed, and why? Can you prove you can get people more experienced than yourself to back you and commit till the end of the project?
5. Why are you in the business of directing? What makes you special? Why THIS project? How are you going to position yourself as a director?
6. How will this particular script benefit from your unique guidance? Is there something only you can do that no other director can? If yes, can you prove it and articulate it clearly?

I can go on and on...but I hope this helps to get you started. Whatever you write, keep it brief, simple and to the point. And make sure when you are face to face with them, you better be the person you claim you are. Hope this helps. All the best.

Last edited by Sareesh Sudhakaran; November 19th, 2010 at 12:53 AM. Reason: typo
Sareesh Sudhakaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 10:14 AM   #9
Equal Opportunity Offender

Just a note: Google gives better results if you search for "Film Directors vision statement"

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 02:01 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks Sareesh and Andrew!

Truly helpful!
Old December 11th, 2010, 03:21 AM   #11
Equal Opportunity Offender

So how did it go in the end?

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business