DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   what could happen if you make a music video for a signed artist? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/489092-what-could-happen-if-you-make-music-video-signed-artist.html)

Dave Morgan December 18th, 2010 06:59 PM

what could happen if you make a music video for a signed artist?

lets say I would want to make a music video for fun for a popular signed artist and just post it on you tube?
could they sue? would they sue? or just have it removed?

Rick L. Allen December 18th, 2010 08:07 PM

C. All of the Above

Do a search for using music in videos. This topic has been covered ad nauseum and then some on this forum.

Chris Davis December 18th, 2010 11:01 PM

YouTube's audio fingerprinting would pick up on the copyright material and alert the rights holder to the video. The rights holder has a couple of options: remove the video completely, remove only the audio (leaving a silent video), or leave the whole video intact and include a link to purchase the song.

The odds are overwhelming that you won't get sued. The worst that would happen is your video will get removed.

Adam Gold December 19th, 2010 01:06 AM

Start with the sticky directly above this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-c...et-caught.html

Don Miller December 19th, 2010 12:25 PM

Is there evidence of anyone being challenged on Youtube or Vimeo for using copyrighted music in a non-commercial video?

Paul R Johnson December 19th, 2010 01:04 PM

I hate these things being called music videos - becuase they're essentially homage videos - using existing clips to be viewed while listening. Kind of video art, I guess. Often very clever and interesting, but to my ancient mind, unless the original artiste performed 'for' the video, then they're not a music video in the sense I grew up with.

I like the response that suggests you try it. At worse it will be taken off, and all you lost was your time. If you like doing this kind of thing, why not find an unsigned band and do it with their consent? Few would object to a free video for youtube.

Chris Davis December 19th, 2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Miller (Post 1600104)
Is there evidence of anyone being challenged on Youtube or Vimeo for using copyrighted music in a non-commercial video?

Are you serious? You could obtain the "evidence" you desire by tonight. Just post a video using a popular song.

YouTube's audio fingerprinting is automatic and generally pretty fast and can sometimes detect the violation even before the video is finished uploading.

Don Miller December 19th, 2010 02:34 PM

I meant challenged by the copyright owner

Chris Davis December 19th, 2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Miller (Post 1600136)
I meant challenged by the copyright owner

Google "Prince dancing baby".

There's a reason YouTube had to implement the audio fingerprinting - rights holders got tired of having to find each video so they set their legal sights on YouTube and threatened a massive lawsuit.

Steve House December 20th, 2010 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Miller (Post 1600104)

Commercial or not doesn't make any difference ... the infringment is in making the copy, not in trying to make money off of it subsequently. Giving away copies is just as infringing as selling them. But be that as it may, YouTube and Vimeo are commercial ventures, making money from publishing videos online. As soon as a video is uploaded to them, it becomes a commercial video, irrespective of why it was made in the first place. Even a family keepsake of the kids and puppies splashing in a wading pool becomes a commercial video when uploaded to a revenue generating site, even if the uploader sees no revenue from it or had the intention of generating revenue when they made it.