Legal: Old defunct newspaper shot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old December 22nd, 2010, 06:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Legal: Old defunct newspaper shot

I've an old newspaper shot of myself from a small community newspaper that's been out of biz for 15 years. I was wondering if I can use this in my music video without any legal repercussions.
What do you think?
Old December 23rd, 2010, 02:18 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Do you want to use just the picture or more of the page on which the picture sits?

If the former, then I guess it would depend on who shot the photo or otherwise has the copyright to the photo.

If the latter, then I guess it would depend on how the newspaper's assets were disposed of - ie did some other outfit buy the company or did it just disappear? Although there could be multiple entities each owning the copyright to something that appeared on the page - for example ad copy that might appear there would have almost certainly have been copyrighted by the entity that placed the ad and not by the newspaper.

These are just top of my head guesses, of course. I really don't know, just thinking out loud.

Interesting question.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 06:57 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Art,
Take a new shot of yourself and then you will never have to worry about it. If you want the shot to look like the earlier version, that's pretty easy in Photoshop.
Regards,
Doug.
Doug Bailey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business