DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Release Forms -- Model / Talent / Location etc. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/4899-release-forms-model-talent-location-etc.html)

John Locke June 7th, 2003 11:25 PM

Alex,

It would go:

"Therefore, in exchange for screen credit I hereby freely and without restraint consent...."

or

"Therefore, in exchange for USD1.00 I hereby freely and without restraint consent...."

or

"Therefore, in exchange for USD1,000,000.00 I hereby freely and without restraint consent...."

and then...

"Whereas Alex Knappenberger/AK Films (the "Producer") is engaged in a project (the "Video/Film"), and"

Like Chris says...you have to pay something for it to be binding...and screen credit isn't payment. But, you know, for low-budget, amateur films and student films...I'd imagine "screen credit" is fine.

And don't forget...asking them for permission on tape is a quick way to get a release. Just be sure you archive the footage.

Jay Enterkin June 9th, 2003 11:24 AM

compensation have to be monetary?

My understanding is that compensation doesn't have to be monetary to make a release binding. Am I mistaken?

I use the term "for valuable consideration, receipt of which is hereby acknowledged".

This does two things: 1. indicates that the person giving the permission (release) has received compensation (valuable consideration) and 2. by signing, they acknowledge they have received compensation of some kind.

Compensation, could, I believe, be: screen credit, food and beverages consumed on the set, experience, or any number of other non-monetary methods of compensation.

Keith Loh June 9th, 2003 11:42 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Usually you throw a buck (at least) to whoever is in it. When I got releases, I'd have a clipboard and a bag full of one dollar bills. The point is that they're compensated. Doesn't matter that it's just a dollar. Legally, they've been paid. -->>>

If we did it that way in Canada I'd have to carry around a sack of Loonies (our dollar coins). I'd be just like a medieval friar waiting for Robin Hood to come by to relieve me of my coin.

Thomas Berg Petersen June 27th, 2003 03:24 PM

Commercial lease need location release?

Dear all,
I am about to rent a live & work loft. The lease will be a commercial lease with permission to also live there.
My question is if I shoot film and/or video in this loft, will I be required to get a location release each time? Or can I just freely shoot, since I will be under a commercial lease similar to that a store owner doesn't need permission from the landlord to sell things since the exact objective of the commercial lease is to use it commercially??

K. Forman June 27th, 2003 03:27 PM

I would ask the landlord about signing a blanket release when you sign the lease.

Rob Belics June 27th, 2003 07:02 PM

I've had TV commercials shot at my place and no one, including the production company, brought up anytning about a release. We shot interiors only. Since you are conducting a business in a space you are renting, you should be free to do as you wish.

John Stanley August 9th, 2003 03:51 PM

Filming store-front for advertising...need release?

Hi,
I am filming some businesses to appear as sponsors on my local TV show.
I usually get a location release from the person that owns the business, and that should cover everything inside their store. I was wondering if it is necessary to have a release from whoever owns the property/strip mall/etc... before showing the outside of the business on TV. Should I try to get in touch with the realtor that handles the property, or does a business genearlly have the right to advertsie and show it's store-front?
Thanks,
- John

Brian Boals August 9th, 2003 04:14 PM

"Video-ed" video release???

Has anyone heard of getting a release from the people in your video by actually filming them giving you a release.

I have wondered how someone like Huell Howser on PBS goes about the state of California filming "California's Gold", doing on-the-street interviews, talking to people without any prior communication and then goes on with his video. He does not seem to have time to stop and get written releases from all the people he talks to.

I have seen scenes where he is walking down the street and he walks up to someone, grabs their arm and turns them onto the camera to interview. Then they get into a car and drive away. There does not seem to be time to get any release.

I have thought that he might give the people a brief written statement that he can have them read live on film and leave them with the written release for their records.

Would this be acceptable (legal)? Anyone know how Huell does this?

Additionally, does anyone know what camera he uses to film this series?

Ciao, Brian

Rob Belics August 10th, 2003 05:01 PM

I'm pretty sure you're OK. I'd have to dig up my restaurant lease but I think I asked someone this question before and you can do anything you want inside and out, within rules of the mall. Those rules pertain to signage and lighting. I think my landlord told me I can do anything I want to promote the store's business. (They sometimes get a percent if you didn't know).

When they've filmed TV commercials at our place, we've never signed any release either.

John Stanley August 10th, 2003 06:09 PM

Hey,
Thanks for your reply. That all makes sense, too. I have filmed a few businesses without worrying, but I was just strting to think about it and kind of wanted some advice.
Thanks for letting me rest a little easier!
- John

John Stanley August 12th, 2003 11:42 PM

Model release for people in background of commercial?

Hi,
When filming an ad for a business such as a restaurant, do I need to get a model release from people in the restaurant...say, for a wide shot that pans around and shows people eating there? Or, if I don't show faces, am I OK without a release?
There are 2 situations I'm thinking of in particular - one shot of people at the buffet (not showing faces), and the other is the panning shot.
I don't think the local stations worry about this when they film, but I'm independent and have to think things through.
Thanks,
- John

Paul Tauger August 13th, 2003 12:21 AM

Many states have right-of-publicity laws which preclude unauthorized commercial use of someone's likeness.

Mike Rehmus August 13th, 2003 12:24 AM

Normally the issue is one of recognizability. Federal law allows them to come after you if they can be recognized.

Let the restaurant buy them lunch if they sign the release.

Jeff Donald August 14th, 2003 05:55 AM

Journalism has different requirements for releases. Unless you work for a news organization etc. you can't rely on this for protection. Video releases are perfectly acceptable. When I worked in broadcast we would routinely get releases and spellings by having the person just talk on camera.

Bryan Coleman October 30th, 2003 11:37 PM

Is there a simple Model Release form online?

I need to find a model release form somewhere and thought some one here may know of one online.
Thanks,
Bryan