Release Forms -- Model / Talent / Location etc. - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old June 3rd, 2004, 10:11 AM   #61
Major Player

Good question about publicly-owned facility but privately-operated. I would think that if you can simply walk in, then it is public public, compare to public place where you need tickets or something to get in, like a public performance in Central Park but you need tickets to get in.
Law Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2004, 07:26 PM   #62
Major Player

Eh. Don't worry about it anymore. I got banned today for shooting video. Haha. And this was after I had just gotten all the release forms signed by the riders/their parents. I think its just because the people there dont like me for some reason. They always make up new rules everytime I come there whether I'm riding or shooting video. So today when she started harrassing me about the video camera I tried to tell her that I fulfilled all her requests but she started giving me a snobby attitude so threw a few foul words at her and she told me I'm not allowed back and I told her I would never come back anyway. It was pretty funny. And right after I walked out I called the guy who is supposed to be in charge of the place and he was a total A-hole and he didnt even know what had happened yet. So I deffinately do not want to go back to that place again. There are far better skateparks around this area that are more friendly anyway.
Dustin Waits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2004, 08:12 AM   #63
Major Player

Do I need spearate releases?

I am going to be shooting several non-profit street events in a couple of months. They will have signs alerting people that video is being shot, and by staying they give their consent to be taped.

1. I suggested that we should still have a separate release in their vendor agreements, since we will be taping business booths with identifiable logos, etc, and they will actually be "featured" (not incidental) in the video. Does anyone have some words (maybe one paragraph) that we could include in their vendor contract?

2. If the client has releases from appropriate people, what do I need to do to be covered by these releases? What words should I put in my agreement with them so that these releases pass thru to me, and so that I am protected if they fail to get one?
Bob Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2004, 06:30 PM   #64
Major Player

I still need help with this please.

Some suggested language allowing us rights to use their business name and log would be most helpful. Answers to other questions also needed, but not quite as urgent today.
Old December 19th, 2004, 09:38 PM   #65
Wrangler

Hey John
If you check out the FAQ for this section, there is a release form for people in there. You can probably reword it to suit your needs.
Old December 19th, 2004, 10:41 PM   #66
Major Player

Maybe I was not clear. Or maybe I am dense. Let me try again.

I am not worried so much about the people for reasons stated. They are out in a public place, signs posted, etc.. What I AM worried about is using a business sign, logo, or trademark. What I think I need is a release that is similar to what you would get from a soup company to shoot their product in a grocery aisle. Not location, not personal, something else (trademarked product??)

ALso, I have never in all my research seen anything that tells me how to protect myself on a "pass-thru" release that my client has already had signed. Everything I read tells me how to get my own releases (and I have plenty of samples), but in this environment that is probably not practical, and client is going to say "We already have releases". I just want to be sure I am covered by them. I have other projects coming with same issue.
Old December 20th, 2004, 10:33 AM   #67
Major Player

John,

I have a multi-line form that I use at events. It has some release verbage on the top and room for 20-25 people to sign below (name, address, signature). I usually place it at the registration table and everyone at the event signs it. In the rare case (never happened yet) that someone does not want to appear identifiablely on screen, I leave a supply of day-glo orange labels that the person places on their shirt. If I see them ahead of time, I don't shoot. If I don't notice them while shooting, I'll pick it up during editing.

Like I said, I have never, to my knowledge, had someone refuse to sign at an event.

The signs are a good idea also. That is what Disney, Seaworld and other tourist destinations use when they are in a production that might include crowd shots.

Good Luck
Mike Cavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2005, 10:55 PM   #68
New Boot

Release Sign...Please Help!!

Hi everyone,

I need some help quick. I need to find the wording to a release sign that basically states that if you walk through this area, you are giving permission for us to record you. I need one by Sat morning, so all comments are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Mike Lott Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 07:37 AM   #69
Major Player

Videotaping in progress. If you do not want to appear on our video, run like hell is chasing you.

OR

Videotaping in Progress. If you walk through this area, you are giving permission for us to record you.

OR

You are now being videotaped. If you object to this, yell really loud and wave your arms like a madman.

okay, I will stop. I must still be tired.... :)
Bob Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 08:00 AM   #70
Inner Circle

THE COMPLETE FILM PRODUCTION HANDBOOK
by
Eve Light Honthaner

On page 269 - "Wording for multiple signs." There is a release for interior audiences of a show, and one to be placed in an "Area' during taping or filming.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 01:14 AM   #71
Major Player

FILMING IN PROGRESS! From ... hours... to .... hours

Production: ...
Representative: ....
Phone: ....

By entering this area (cafe, square..) you are giving permission for your image and voice to be recorded and used in this production.

----

You can add phrases like "the production shall not be liable for injury, damages or loss of property", that would go down badly in most of Europe, but maybe in the States it's wise..
You can print some flyers with more info for people to pick up and take with them...
Old March 27th, 2005, 11:06 PM   #72
New Boot

Thanks to all who replied to this post. We finally used the one out of the Complete Film Production Handbook. Worked out great and there were no complaints at our locations by patrons.

Mike,
MJdoubleD
Mike Lott Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 05:38 PM   #73
Regular Crew

release form for this one?

I've got an auto body repair video coming up at the end of the month. Tomorrow, I'm going to a local car show to shoot some artsy car clips for use in the opening credits and would like to know if you thought it best to use a generic release form or just film without one.
Jeremy Rank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2005, 12:18 AM   #74
Regular Crew

I did the shoot today and brought along some generic release forms...only had one person refuse to sign it.

Not bad at all...got the footage I needed, protected myself, and didn't have a problem doing it.

When I explained that I wanted their car in my project, the cars guys jumped all over it...methinks car guys are ego-centric...lol.
Jeremy Rank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:33 AM   #75
Regular Crew

Question about model releases

Most of the work I do is commercials, music and performance videos and other scripted shoots. we always get releases from anyone who will be appearing on screen and that's it. I am just embarking on a documentary and many of the shots will be of people in public places (restaurants, parks, city streets) and I was wondering how one deals with that. Obviously if you are shooting in a public place it isn't possible to hand out releases to everyone in the vicinity. Can some one point me to the rules?

Thanks,

Richard Lubash
2K-Plus • Atlanta
Richard Lubash is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business