Release forms for filming live bands? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old January 23rd, 2011, 07:14 PM   #1
New Boot

Release forms for filming live bands?

Please, can anybody recommend a source for a good template contract to have bands sign before I film their live performances? I've searched books, this site, and beyond, but haven't found anything that quite fits the bill-- just actor releases and studio recording contracts. I'm wary of trying to write such a thing myself, and can't afford a lawyer's help.

Website/book recommendations or any other advice would be much appreciated!
Daniel Hepokoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Major Player

Should be about the same as any other model/actor release.
BUT, you'll also need the rights to the music if you plan on using the audio...
Chris Luker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #3
New Boot

I'm unclear if it's generally better to have a separate contract for song rights, or if this would usually be done as one comprehensive contract? The artists are performing their own original material (to which they own the rights) so the parties involved are the same.
Old January 25th, 2011, 06:44 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Sync rights to a song is a totally different critter from a likeness release for a performer. I'd suggest two separate documents. Pretty standard model releases should be all you need for the people in the band but a song license is a bit more complicated and only involves the songs composers, which may not be the entire group. And are you sure everything in their performance is really original material that they still own?
Old January 25th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #5
New Boot

Mostly, yes. I know "mostly" isn't sufficient when distribution time comes.

Thing is, there's no way to know in advance what songs will be played, so I can't be 100% sure. Since we're not broadcasting live, and we're in no hurry to distribute... am I correct that sync rights can/should be addressed after the filming, provided it happens before we actually use any footage?

And I can still get the "model" releases from the musicians before the show.
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #6
Inner Circle

What do you mean you can't find out ahead of time what they will be playing? You 're working with them on the filming, right? You'll be meeting with them regarding the releases, etc, right? Are they such flakes that they'd actually show up to play a gig and not have planned out in advance a detailed program of what they were going to play and where in the show they were going to play it? Sheesh
Old January 25th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #7
New Boot

Um, they're not flakes... heh. The next group I'm filming is an international touring act known for performing sets over 4 hours long-- including audience requests and improvisational numbers that couldn't be planned out even if they wanted to. Such spontaneity is generally seen as part of their artistic appeal.
Old January 26th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #8
New Boot

Thanks, Chris and Steve! You both helped me figure out what I should actually be looking for, and was thus able to find what I need on a trip back to the bookstore.

Greatly appreciated.
Daniel Hepokoski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business