scam/spam? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old February 14th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #16
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
The info he's asking for may be exactly the kind of info he'd add to his website.
Indeed, in the same way that he scraped content from Model Mayhem (see links in previous posts).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I think the best way to verify anything is to ask for a meeting or phone number (as you did). If they grant you one of these you have eliminated a lot of the fraudsters to begin with.

The Paypal suggestion is good because a bounced check will cost you from your bank fees.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #18
Slash Rules!

Well, I am not at all surprised. I think I will simply cease responding at this point.

The most disappointing thing is that after years of scamming these folks have still not teamed up with an evil genius native English speaker who could actually help them not be so obvious.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:29 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Re: scam/spam?

Of course I do get legitimate emails that are spelled just about this badly.
I also got the same two emails...wonder how they found us? I'm curious, so I've sent only information that he could obtain from public records and given him the Paypal/cert check wording...wonderful suggestion, I've been burned by bad checks before though have never fallen for the "return my overpayment" scam...and will report back if I hear anything further, which I doubt.
Cynthia Granville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Here we go...Chris nailed it, it's one of those we-sent-you-an-overpayment scams. Just received a Fedex with a check for about seven times the amount I would have been owed for the job. And an email asking me to confirm delivery and deposit the check "at an ATM for immediate availability of funds" (i'm guessing this is so that a teller can't note that the check is bad), send them a copy of the deposit slip, then receive further instructions from them. i'm hoping that the amount is large enough that someone will actually prosecute them...there are numerous websites where one can report these scams such as FTC, and i'll be contacting everyone. in case someone actually wants to follow up, i should be able to stay in contact with them for a bit as they ignored my instruction about sending a certified check, money order, or paypal.
i'm a little disappointed, as a crime show buff :-), that they're not more sophisticated about this. it's not a particularly believable looking check, the company name doesn't relate to any they've mentioned (in fact, it's a dry cleaner!), and they didn't question when i simply declined to send them any personally identifiable info. they didn't even ask for a W9....
Cynthia Granville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #21
Inner Circle

If you want to tweak them, tell them the check has been confirmed bad and they need to resubmit funds to you through Western Union. If you really want an "incident" you can say the bank wants to forward the check to the FBI. If they're dumb they'll panic.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Let me guess, return addy out of Canada? They busted a group up there in the great white north a few years ago for the same scam, I'm guessing they got out of the pokey, and are at it again, got one labelled as a "secret shopper" scam, drawn on a TX bank account of a legit company (that had NOTHING to do with "secret shopping, i'm quite sure!). It's made the news here in the LA area, so I'm guessing they are pretty busy sending out fake checks!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business