DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Making Music Videos for money. Suggestions? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/491666-making-music-videos-money-suggestions.html)

Dave Morgan February 12th, 2011 06:38 PM

Making Music Videos for money. Suggestions?

So making music videos is really hard, most unsigned bands do not have any money. I know that established music video directors have music video reps, Does anyone know how you go about getting a music video rep, so you can make videos for bands under small labels? Or any other ways to get some music video work. I love making music videos, and really want to make more, for pay even if it is just a little,

Of course I'm not on the level of Samuel Bayer, he got his 1st big gig directing Nirvana's "Smells like teen spirit", the band picked him because his video reel was soo bad. because they didn't want something "corporate"

Jeff Turkali February 20th, 2011 02:42 AM

I would answer Craig's List ads. You will need to have a reel of course to show that you can shoot.

I answered an ad asking for someone to document their recording sessions for 4 days. I sent them my still photography folio via a link. I told them my video stuff will look just like my stills, same deal, same thing. They hired me based on photos, and no video. I got paid and had a wonderful time.

But each ad I have answered after that first one has failed to land the gig. Each potential client emailed back interested, and as days rolled on, because uninterested. I think someone offering "free" video work came along and out bid me, I was no longer in the running.

I even emailed back 6 to 12 months later, and asked them how it turned out, saying I was interested in seeing their wonderful video, as the project sounded so interesting. Often the video guy never finished, or the footage needs converted, or edited, etc. And even once I was asked, would I be interested in finishing it?

You don't get good finished product for free. But in this economic climate, many will try.

PS I think that there is very little money in music or music videos in this day and age.

John Threat February 22nd, 2011 08:38 AM

Re: Making Music Videos for money. Suggestions?

I've done label and indie videos, big and small and I never got a rep. I kind of veered into TV instead.

You are not going to make money doing music videos off craigslist thats for sure - as mentioned - there is someone always offering to do it for free on there that will probably trump you even at $500 with an amazing reel.

If you have a reel you send it to rep companies and hope they will grant you an interview. They will rep you if they think they can make money from you - but its a competitive field with smaller and smaller budgets.

The other way is to have a team member (maybe its you) who goes and email artist managers and small labels directly offering your services - if they like your work - they will give you a check. It's a lot of work begging door to door for videos.

its good to have a team member or someone you give a percentage to for jobs that works in the music industry that finds the videos because he hob nobs and parties with music artists. This worked for me for a bit and work loads for some friends of mine.

Tough business - but I encourage you to go for it!