DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   should I own the rights? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/492423-should-i-own-rights.html)

Kell Smith February 28th, 2011 04:34 PM

should I own the rights?

I'm sure this has been covered and I'll research it, but need advice really quickly because I need to get this paper signed and back to the event people.
I'm proposing to do a large festival 3 minute web video which will include interviewing vendors, getting carnival footage, etc. Also, footage of various specified events held over the few days. I'd like to be able to use anything for promotional purposes, which is in my contract. THey came back with a paper saying they want to own the rights.
I know there's two ways to approach it, but what is the best approach in this particular situation?
I know its been covered, and I'll research it. Have to leave in a half hour and want to get this page back to her before I leave - thanks.

edit
I'm researching, but still not clear on which is the best way to go here.
I'm going to have three days of raw footage, I'm wondering about certain situations - i.e. promotional footage (a must), situations in which a vendor could book me later for a web video shoot and want to use their footage or interview from the festival, and even a situation where I might want to use a cool carnival shot in something. Or what if a parent wanted to hire me to put together a piece from the festival of their kid, etc---?
I'm uncomfortable turning over three days worth of raw footage. On the other hand, maybe this is a work for hire situation, and that's the right way to handle it.

What they specified (that I haven't signed yet) is they 'own the rights to the finished product. Requests for use, reproduction, and/or redistribution of materials must first be submitted and permitted" by them. "Finished product" is as yet undefined - I have no problem with this if they mean the 3 minute web video as long as I can use it for promotion.

I understand that they want control over how their festival stuff is used, but don't want to get into a situation where I have to pay them to use my own footage. Could that be a scenario? I also don't really want it re-edited by someone else, as I was hoping the footage from the events could lead to more projects editing for them.

What's the best way to handle this? Feedback much appreciated. Thanks.

Steve House March 1st, 2011 05:50 AM

Re: should I own the rights?

If you sign over all rights you could very well be in a situation where you would have to pay to use your own work anywhere else, or even be denied permission to use it altogether. That's what copyright is all about.

Kell Smith March 1st, 2011 10:45 AM

Re: should I own the rights?

Thanks. I'll talk to them and get a better idea of their concerns.