DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Looking for a catchy business name. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/49304-looking-catchy-business-name.html)

Adam Bray August 14th, 2005 12:51 AM

Looking for a catchy business name.

Im going to start the legal process of my video production business this week. I'm looking for some catchy name suggestions.

thanks

Glenn Chan August 14th, 2005 12:59 AM

Just my opinion:
I think people spend too much time figuring out their business name. I can't think of a business where their name really made all that much of a difference. You could have a boring name and it can still develop into a strong brand. IBM, UPS, names that have no meaning (xerox)

Maybe the names that don't work are the ones that are too long... like Ruth's Chris' Steak House (local restaurant).

There's better ways to use your time. But that's just my opinion.

Bob Costa August 14th, 2005 07:53 AM

A name should tell what you do, maybe where you are, and what your special unique selling proposition is.

So how about:

"cheap videos that look like crap"? ?

Videos-R-Us ?

U-R-Da-Star ?

We-Don't-Work-For-No-Fools ?

Newbie Video Productions?

I Can't think of a name for my business but I just bought a new videocamera? (dot com)

Silent Movies (We are too new to own microphones)

Uncle Charley's Videos

Overexposed, OutOfFocus, OopsWeMissedIt, and Associates (o3.com)

Obviously, asking for a "catchy name" is not very productive use of anyone's time. Better would be if you posted a couple of YOUR ideas and why you chose them. Maybe someone will comment on which they like best and why.

Mike Teutsch August 14th, 2005 08:17 AM

I agree with Bob, keep it simple if you can. To many businesses and many in the video arts area, name themselves some cutsy name and no one knows what business they are in. If you are a major studio in Hollywood that's fine, because you aren't dealing with the general public. But, if your a small local business, say doing wedding videos, give your business a name that in some way defines your business, put video, or productions, or something in it.

The second thing is this, pick a name that you can get a web domain with. That way when you wish to get a website you can use your company name. For example,if you call it Video Memories Productions, see if that name is already on the web. I also like to find one whos initials are also available, like www.VMP.com, but that is not as important unless you are a very big company.

I bet if you just used Bray Video Productions, you would do fine, and those who want to call you would ask for Mr. Bray. What you do and what you provide your customers if far far more important than the name.

I'll add this, I just got a website and named my business. I don't even know if I will ever actually open a real business, I am doing this as a hobby right now, but if I do I have my web name and all. I live on what's called the "Treasure Coast" of Florida. It was named that because it was an area that had a lot of ship wreaks in the 1600 1700s etc., pirates you know and bad storms, so lots of treasure out there somewhere! The people of the area are proud of this name. So I checked and Treasure Coast Video was open. Spent $60.00 on a webhost and registration for a year, and I am ready to go, if I want to open a business. And, there is no business here by that name, that's important to check too.

Mike

Dylan Couper August 14th, 2005 09:39 AM

How about...

Adam Bray Productions!

Ta daaah!

Mike Teutsch August 14th, 2005 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
How about...

Adam Bray Productions!

Ta daaah!

That sounds great to me! Anyone ever hear of Chevrolet, Ford, Chrysler, Westinghouse, Buick, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.

Mike