Securing work in other cities besides the one you live in/near? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old March 30th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Securing work in other cities besides the one you live in/near?

Does anyone do work for clients in other cities besides the one you live in? say like 300 miles away or more?
I would like to promote in a city about 300 miles away due to more clients in that city.

I know clients would mostly want someone close to their city but im sure some wouldn't care? any thoughts?

for example, traveling 300 miles to shoot a video then doing everything else back at home.
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 08:09 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Securing work in other cities besides the one you live in/near?

Hi Dave:

I relocated to a small resort community almost 6 months ago. My clients are now 40 - 70 miles away, and no new clients have balked at the distance. In fact, I'm now booking productions even further away than my previous home-base. However, my productions are such that I can book 2 to 3 shoot days on location, and then spend a few weeks in post-production from the comfort of my home office.

OTOH, 300 miles, is quite a commute. Unless you're hooked up with some great public transportation, that would make for a looong shoot day, so you'll have to factor-in lodging into your equations.

While most clients won't care, I would downplay the location where you live in your marketing. If it comes up, you should give the impression that you work "all over" as opposed to "I'm thinking about relocating to your city... IF I can get enough work."

At some point, if you find success in the city, you may be faced with that choice, since a six-hour, one-way commute would make the type of projects you can bid on much more limited than if you lived in that city and could pick-up simple half-day or full-day shoots.

HTH,
Brian Brown
BrownCow Productions
BrownCow Productions - Affordable Full-Service Video Production serving Estes Park, Longmont, Boulder, Denver and the Northern Colorado Front Range
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 08:34 AM   #3
Major Player

I regularly do 4-hour (one way) commutes for day jobs out of simple expediency; it costs less for me to pay for the drive (even with $5/gal gas) than to pay the higher cost-of-living to be near those population centers daily. I typically get paid more working in the city than out here. If a shoot will last a couple of days, the cost of lodging easily outweighs the time/gas cost of commuting that distance, so I book accordingly when possible.
Old April 6th, 2011, 05:05 PM   #4
Major Player

I regularly work within a three or four hour (one way) driving distance from my home base. I live in a Canadian Prairie province, and the work is spread around quite a bit. Since there are VERY few people in the entire province doing full start to finish production work, there is no lack of business. It can get a bit tedious driving all the time, but I've yet to have anyone complain about travel charges, etc.
Wayne Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #5
New Boot

How can we promote in other cities besides our own? I live in JAX, but how can I promote in MCO, TPA, MIA, ATL, etc?
Kevin McKendree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 02:23 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Kevin,
What field are you working in & what services are you offering? This will help with suggestions.

Regards,
Doug.
Doug Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 03:13 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Kevin,

How do you get work in your own city?

If it's effective, can you apply it to another city?
Christian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #8
Major Player

I have thought about getting a virtual voice-mail with the area code for a city I would like to work in. I think a lot of people are turned away if they see the phone number is out of state. That way I can get them on the phone at least.

any opinions?
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #9
Major Player

Turn the question around; If you're the client why would you hire someone that lives 300 miles (5-6 hrs drive away)?

On your side; How will the travel time affect your costs - day rate, mileage, upkeep on your vehicle, lodging, meals & fatigue?
Old September 8th, 2011, 03:45 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morgan View Post
I have thought about getting a virtual voice-mail with the area code for a city I would like to work in. I think a lot of people are turned away if they see the phone number is out of state. That way I can get them on the phone at least.

any opinions?
I use Vonage for my business phone. One of the nice features they offer is 'virtual numbers,' local phone numbers in your choice of location that all ring through to the same phone on your desk. For very low cost each you can have a local presence in the form of a local phone number in as many cities as you might like.
Old September 8th, 2011, 03:46 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morgan View Post

any opinions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick L. Allen View Post
Turn the question around; If you're the client why would you hire someone that lives 300 miles (5-6 hrs drive away)?

On your side; How will the travel time affect your costs - day rate, mileage, upkeep on your vehicle, lodging, meals & fatigue?
You would hire them because you know they'll deliver the quality of work you need, better than people you might hire locally.
Old September 8th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
You would hire them because you know they'll deliver the quality of work you need, better than people you might hire locally.
Further, in 6 weeks I will be traveling 3000kms round trip to direct and switch a multicamera live switched gig with my gear for 4 days, with 1 day of driving on either side, using local crew (my buddies) as camera ops. Believe it or not, I'm STILL cheaper than the local guys and this is my 13th convention with these folks so the sheer fact that they KNOW I will deliver above and beyond every time gets me confirmed at the end of convention every year.

The only stipulation is occasionally they need to put the gig up for tender to confirm that there is value in bringing in "the outsider". Which is why I insist on using local crew.

Besides, these days a LOT of big gig rentals aren't even located in the city that the A/V house serves. Big consoles and specialty gear are OFTEN flown or trucked in for gigs from a central "clearing house"/warehouse these days...

If the business model works, it works. For you OR for them.

There is a reason I changed the name of my business to Road Dog Media...

Word of advice though: get a comfortable vehicle with great lumbar support and heated seats. Long drives can get OLD if you are ill equipped. I bought a 2010 Subaru Forester Full Time AWD JUST so I could have the best chance of making it to the gig alive AND ready to work...
Old September 8th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Oh, and to answer the original question:
Networking.

Thus endeth the lesson.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business