Website Design at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old April 15th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #1
New Boot

Website Design

What will be a good website design for video. I have recently made my camera purchase (Sony A1U) and I want to get my business up and running. My focus is for Corporate, Industrial, and Television since that is where most of my experience lies at. I have always been a freelance for both TV and Films (A&E Networks, Discovery Networks, CBS, ABC, and FOX) Also should I include the Cable and Network companies on my "past clients" list?
Kevin McKendree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 12:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Website Design

Hi Kevin — are you going to design the site yourself or have a web designer create it?
Keith Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, include your past clients. As long as you can prove them if your ever called out on them.

And are you doing the site or someone else?
Caleb Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #4
New Boot

My partner is doing the site, he is our Graphic Artist and a Web Developer. We have a server now, we just need to design it and put it up.
Old April 15th, 2011, 11:25 PM   #5
Trustee

If your website is a critical part of your business model, here are a few suggestions:

1. Stick to Home + Services/Rates + Clients/Showreel + Contact Us - The simpler the better.
2. Add lots of photos and less text. Keep the layout as simple as possible. Use HTML and make sure it will look okay on any resolution monitor.
3. For video, flash is the standard. You can get better quality with MOV/H.264, etc, but many people don't have the plug-ins installed. But 98% of internet users have flash. If you use a slightly older standard, you will be well covered.
4. Have a cool preloader with something to read, if you decide to go all flash.
5. For business purposes, I would stick to white over black (backgrounds), light shades over dark, basic fonts like arial/times roman/microsoft, etc (If you have to use exotic fonts, convert them into images).
6. Collect email addresses right from the word go. But you need to dangle a carrot for most people to bite. Don't forget to follow the 'opt-in' norms.

The idea is to get the client to follow the menu path as stated in point one. Hope this helps.
Old April 16th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sareesh Sudhakaran View Post
3. For video, flash is the standard. You can get better quality with MOV/H.264, etc, but many people don't have the plug-ins installed. But 98% of internet users have flash. If you use a slightly older standard, you will be well covered.
100% of iPhone/iPad/iPod users don't have Flash & never will have so you should transparently be using HTML5 for delivering video to these users just like You Tube, Vimeo etc. The Flash Player is available to most other browsers but the video file itself should be H.264 MPEG4 just like it is on You Tube, Vimeo etc.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2011, 01:55 AM   #7
New Boot

I plan on letting my partner decide on what to use right not. We might be running three busines under one the way our structure might turn out. My friend that is designing the website will be running our Graphics and Web, my other partner will be doing music and audio, and I am concentrating on video and Television. I am thinking of modeling the site for each of our divisions.

Home ==> Video/ Television Production ==> Graphic/ Web Design ==> Audio/ Music Production ==> Clients ==> Contact Us.

I want to make sure that we use complementary colors, and have lots of pictures. Each category will have it's own theme too. I want to keep it simple, but attactive at the same time. I don't plan to use flash, but I might use YouTube for the video's. I have plenty of pictures of various studio's around florida and projects that I have worked on, I believe I should be covered.
Old April 18th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #8
Major Player

From what you've written, it appears that your business plan and structure is a bit fluid and that you perhaps don't have a marketing plan developed. My advice is to consider hiring a graphic/web designer with solid branding & marketing experience once you have those details set. It's worth what you'll pay.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business