request for B roll after done? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old April 27th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

request for B roll after done?

This question comes up a lot but I'm still not sure what the accepted practice is - and no, there's no mention in the contract about this.

I produced a documentary for a city government, via a private firm (it was part of a larger contract that the private firm had with the city). We did good, it's finished, everybody loved it, we got paid, rah rah, blah blah. Now I got a request from another division of the city for B roll to use in developing another video (themselves, it doesn't involve us).

What is the general practice here? I'm sure they are asking for the footage for free. I get this request quite often actually after somebody sees one of our pieces. In this case though, they are "sort of" the client that already paid because it's all part of the same city.
Robert Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: request for B roll after done?

Not enough information to answer you with any accuracy.

Were you a subcontractor to the production firm that had a contract with the city?

Did your contract specify your work was a 'work for hire'?

Did the company's contract with the city specify who owned the rights to the footage?
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 01:12 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: request for B roll after done?

Even if they are "sort of" the same client they paid for the documentary that you produced they didn't pay for all the footage that went into it (unless that was in the contract which I am guessing it wasn't). If they now want to purchase some of that footage then it's up to you & them to negotiate a price. What is it worth to them? If they didn't get the footage how much would it cost them to shoot it themselves?
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business