DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   any books that have helped you Make a living from Video? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/496221-any-books-have-helped-you-make-living-video.html)

Dave Morgan May 21st, 2011 01:15 PM

any books that have helped you Make a living from Video?

Just wanted to see if anyone has any good book suggestions that have really helped them get more video work. and helped you become more of a success in video production or producing or editing.

Michael Wisniewski May 21st, 2011 08:53 PM

Re: any books that have helped you Make a living from Video?

Not a video book, but I found the ideas in this book very practical for keeping a small business on track - .

Sareesh Sudhakaran May 21st, 2011 10:22 PM

I still refer to 'The Independent Film & Videomaker’s Guide' by Charles Wilkinson for help.

Doug Bailey May 22nd, 2011 11:31 AM

Currently reading Making Documentary Films and Videos by Barry Hampe. About halfway through and an excellent and thorough read if this is your path. He has a book called Making Videos for Money. Haven't read the second one or know anything about it, but will be very interested down the road based on the first.

Best regards,
Doug.

Michael B. McGee May 23rd, 2011 09:26 PM

not really a direct answer to your question, but a very inspirational book for any professional. "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill.

Mary Crowley May 25th, 2011 04:30 AM

Ron and Tasra Dawson have a book called 'Refocus'. It basically teaches the reader to change a few things about how we do things and includes case studies of successful videographers.

It's something that I bought a few years ago and loved, and I'm now re reading it because I didn't take their advice, but this time, I'm following it to the letter!

Dylan Couper June 3rd, 2011 01:00 PM

This is what you're looking for:
(or similar marketing books)

And this:

Harry Simpson June 7th, 2011 11:32 AM

Mary,

I bought Refocus on your advice and the total was like $92 including shipping. It's a fine 240 page paperback and all but even on the back cover it has a msrp or only $44. Is this a supply and demand issue I wonder?

Ralph Gereg June 7th, 2011 11:40 AM

@ Harry...

I see what you mean... looking at Amazon, the paperback is $102.00 but you can get the Kindle version for only $28.79 with instant download. I'm assuming that the paperback version must be out of print?

Mary Crowley June 7th, 2011 12:22 PM

Wow, guys, even allowing for conversion, I definitely didn't pay anything close to that for it! Looking at the UK Amazon, it's currently selling for £28 although if you want to buy a second hand copy, it'll set you back a cool £215!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Refocus-Cut...7470807&sr=1-1

Don't understand it, myself, but I'm sure there's a valid reason for it!

Nigel Barker June 11th, 2011 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary Crowley (Post 1656311)
Wow, guys, even allowing for conversion, I definitely didn't pay anything close to that for it! Looking at the UK Amazon, it's currently selling for £28 although if you want to buy a second hand copy, it'll set you back a cool £215!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Refocus-Cut...7470807&sr=1-1

Don't understand it, myself, but I'm sure there's a valid reason for it!

I am not sure that Amazon UK actually have it in stock or will deliver it for £28 as it is listed as "Usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months." I have ordered a copy so should find out in the next 1-2 months & will report back. It looks an interesting book.

Harry Simpson July 25th, 2011 12:55 PM

I bought it from DailyDeal via Amazon. It's some kind of racket where they just pull a price out of there arse and unsuspecting you pay it. Yes that's the most I've ever paid for a book ever!! I finally went bact to Amazon and they listed the book at near its msrp of $42 or so (still high). So I wrote to DailyDeal and they gave me a 25% refund ($20 or so). What a racket!!

So my copy of Refocus put me back $60+ now.......better than $90 i guess....

Nigel Barker July 26th, 2011 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1657479)
I am not sure that Amazon UK actually have it in stock or will deliver it for £28 as it is listed as "Usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months." I have ordered a copy so should find out in the next 1-2 months & will report back. It looks an interesting book.

The book just arrived a couple of days ago & looks an interesting read.

David Barnett August 1st, 2011 08:22 AM

It's a little dated (written around 1998, pre-web boom era) but "Getting Businesses to Come to You" is pretty good for sales/marketing tips. Written by Paul & Sarah Edwards.

For software learning (Flash) I actually find the Books for Dummies very handy for training and for later reference. I've often found myself asking "How do I do that??" and looking it up in the book to figure it out.