any books that have helped you Make a living from Video? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old May 21st, 2011, 01:15 PM   #1
Major Player

any books that have helped you Make a living from Video?

Just wanted to see if anyone has any good book suggestions that have really helped them get more video work. and helped you become more of a success in video production or producing or editing.
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 08:53 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: any books that have helped you Make a living from Video?

Not a video book, but I found the ideas in this book very practical for keeping a small business on track -

Old May 21st, 2011, 10:22 PM   #3
Trustee

I still refer to 'The Independent Film & Videomaker’s Guide' by Charles Wilkinson for help.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 11:31 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Currently reading Making Documentary Films and Videos by Barry Hampe. About halfway through and an excellent and thorough read if this is your path. He has a book called Making Videos for Money. Haven't read the second one or know anything about it, but will be very interested down the road based on the first.

Best regards,
Doug.
Doug Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 09:26 PM   #5
Major Player

not really a direct answer to your question, but a very inspirational book for any professional. "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill.
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 04:30 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Ron and Tasra Dawson have a book called 'Refocus'. It basically teaches the reader to change a few things about how we do things and includes case studies of successful videographers.

It's something that I bought a few years ago and loved, and I'm now re reading it because I didn't take their advice, but this time, I'm following it to the letter!
Mary Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2011, 01:00 PM   #7
Wrangler

This is what you're looking for:

(or similar marketing books)

And this:

Old June 7th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #8
Major Player

Mary,

I bought Refocus on your advice and the total was like $92 including shipping. It's a fine 240 page paperback and all but even on the back cover it has a msrp or only $44. Is this a supply and demand issue I wonder?
Old June 7th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #9
Regular Crew

@ Harry...

I see what you mean... looking at Amazon, the paperback is $102.00 but you can get the Kindle version for only $28.79 with instant download. I'm assuming that the paperback version must be out of print?
Ralph Gereg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 12:22 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Wow, guys, even allowing for conversion, I definitely didn't pay anything close to that for it! Looking at the UK Amazon, it's currently selling for £28 although if you want to buy a second hand copy, it'll set you back a cool £215!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Refocus-Cut...7470807&sr=1-1

Don't understand it, myself, but I'm sure there's a valid reason for it!
Mary Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 03:44 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Crowley View Post
Wow, guys, even allowing for conversion, I definitely didn't pay anything close to that for it! Looking at the UK Amazon, it's currently selling for £28 although if you want to buy a second hand copy, it'll set you back a cool £215!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Refocus-Cut...7470807&sr=1-1

Don't understand it, myself, but I'm sure there's a valid reason for it!
I am not sure that Amazon UK actually have it in stock or will deliver it for £28 as it is listed as "Usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months." I have ordered a copy so should find out in the next 1-2 months & will report back. It looks an interesting book.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 12:55 PM   #12
Major Player

I bought it from DailyDeal via Amazon. It's some kind of racket where they just pull a price out of there arse and unsuspecting you pay it. Yes that's the most I've ever paid for a book ever!! I finally went bact to Amazon and they listed the book at near its msrp of $42 or so (still high). So I wrote to DailyDeal and they gave me a 25% refund ($20 or so). What a racket!!

So my copy of Refocus put me back $60+ now.......better than $90 i guess....
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:58 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
I am not sure that Amazon UK actually have it in stock or will deliver it for £28 as it is listed as "Usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months." I have ordered a copy so should find out in the next 1-2 months & will report back. It looks an interesting book.
The book just arrived a couple of days ago & looks an interesting read.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 08:22 AM   #14
Major Player

It's a little dated (written around 1998, pre-web boom era) but "Getting Businesses to Come to You" is pretty good for sales/marketing tips. Written by Paul & Sarah Edwards.

For software learning (Flash) I actually find the Books for Dummies very handy for training and for later reference. I've often found myself asking "How do I do that??" and looking it up in the book to figure it out.
David Barnett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business