Book use at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old August 19th, 2005, 06:00 PM   #1
Trustee

Book use

I usually stick to the technical threads not the legal and business side so forgive me if I'm covering something that's old news. (note: I looked through the search area and wasn't really sure what to look up that pertained to this so I'm posting) I'd like to do a short based on short story in a fairly popular novel. I'm sure someone owns the intellectual property and has probably liscensed the whole book out to a production company. None the less I would love to shoot this. I'm not looking to make money and would really only like to have a festival use of the short, so someone can see how great a filmmaker I am ::ahem:: and hire me to work on big time budgets and what have you. Is it best to go drectly to the publishing company or the author, or go ahead and shoot it and then submit it to the publishing company for approval of fetival release? Or should I just try to figure out how to be creative and make my own story?
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2005, 07:00 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen
I usually stick to the technical threads not the legal and business side so forgive me if I'm covering something that's old news. (note: I looked through the search area and wasn't really sure what to look up that pertained to this so I'm posting) I'd like to do a short based on short story in a fairly popular novel. I'm sure someone owns the intellectual property and has probably liscensed the whole book out to a production company. None the less I would love to shoot this. I'm not looking to make money and would really only like to have a festival use of the short, so someone can see how great a filmmaker I am ::ahem:: and hire me to work on big time budgets and what have you. Is it best to go drectly to the publishing company or the author, or go ahead and shoot it and then submit it to the publishing company for approval of fetival release? Or should I just try to figure out how to be creative and make my own story?
Get the rights or shoot something else. I used to be a member of the Lehman Engle Music Theater Workshop, for composers, lyricists and bookwriters of musical theater. It seemed like every couple of years of so, someone would write a musical version of Catcher in the Rye, thinking they'd submit it to the Salinger Estate and get permission after the fact. Each time, they were given the same answer: "Good work! You don't have our permission to do anything with it, however." Copyright means that the owner has _absolute_ control over how the work is used, including forbidding anyone from doing anything with it.

Salinger Estate aside, you might be surprised at how easy it is to obtain the rights for what you want to do. Contact the publisher, but make sure the license is express and includes all uses you anticipate, e.g. festival, television (broadcast and cable), DVD or, better still, "all mediums, both known and unknown, throughout the universe."
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2005, 10:10 PM   #3
Trustee

Sweet, thanks would it be best to send a propsed script to the publisher or just a request to do that segment of the story?
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 05:18 AM   #4
Major Player

Start with a general inquiry to see if they are even open to the idea, beofre you put a bunch of time into it. They may likely want a script before giving final approval.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business