Credit for loop-based compositions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old August 21st, 2005, 08:51 AM   #1
Trustee

Credit for loop-based compositions

I'm using royalty-free loops/samples I purchased for a soundtrack for a documentary I made. Who/what should I credit as the composer in the credits? Most (if not all) of the loops and samples I am using are from Sony. I may also use some from Adobe. According to the Sony EULA (mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/loopeula),

Quote:
You are free to use the Content CD in your own original compositions without restriction.
and

Quote:
If the Content CD contains material created by a third party artist (the term "Artist" including a person and/or group performing an original work, performer, producer, engineer and/or anyone or any group who is credited on the Content CD) you may not use that artist's name for any purpose, including promotional purposes, credits, use in any way of name or likeness, without the advance express written permission of both the Artist and Sony Media Software.
According to the Adobe license,

Quote:
2.3 Mixing. You may mix the Audio Content to create derivative works based partially or completely on the Audio Content to create your own original compositions.
(However, Adobe doesn’t say anything concerning whether or not the loop/sample composers/musicians should be credited.)

Apparently Sony and Adobe are saying that anytime someone uses their loops/samples/music beds they consider it an original composition by that person. Further, Sony specifically forbids crediting the artists who created the loops/samples/music beds. In that case should I credit myself? Or should I credit "Sony Sound Series Loops & Samples" (and “Adobe Audition Loopolgy Content”, should I use any of that)?
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 09:25 AM   #2

Play it safe. Just credit yourself.

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 05:30 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks for the advice. That's what I've decided to do.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business