making music video, crew budget etc. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old June 19th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #1
Major Player

making music video, crew budget etc.

I am making a music video that actually has a budget and I came up with a total of 5400 figuring in a DP, Lights, Steadycam, etc and gave the client a detailed budget of what the things are going to cost to add up to 5400.00

When I made the budget I figured in a little extra for the crew parts just to be sure that I can have it covered.

So for example on the budget I put down 500 for makeup. And lets say I get a makeup person for 400.00 & I get lighting for 700 instead of a 1000.00

And lets say the client ask or finds out the EXACT amount I spent for the lighting or makeup. What do you say or do? I am not trying to rip anyone off. but there are also things that I will spend money on that I did not write in the budget like food, gas, travel, & an VFX person for one shot.

Should I just explain that yes it is lower than the budget but there are things I did not account for?
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: making music video, crew budget etc.

Don't explain anything. when you get your washing machine fixed, they tell you how much the labour is and the new pump is 55 - the customer doesn't ask if you actually paid 55 for the pump, they accept there's a markup.

As you say, you will obviously forget some things, and if you state 400 for the makeup artiste, but actually pay them 350, so what? It's business. If they like your end figure, then why would they try to generate their own quote? If they could do that, and had the skills and contacts, then they would have done it themselves. If they OK your quote, then your individual costings are none of their business.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Very Nice Thank You
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #4
Trustee

I wouldn't worry about it Dave...people in business already know these things well enough. The ones who ask can be reminded that they don't sell their products on cost, so why should you?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business