DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Graphic Designers and Logo Designs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/499776-graphic-designers-logo-designs.html)

Jaime Espiritu August 19th, 2011 06:06 PM

Graphic Designers and Logo Designs

I've been wanting for someone to create a logo for my video business.

The more research I do, the more I want someone to do this for me.

Does anyone know how much it costs for a graphic designer to design a logo?

I know logos are hard work and time consuming. I also know that a logo can create more business. (Is this true?).

I was reading this site:

Logo Design, Web Design and other Graphic Design Contests - DesignContest.com

I'm just weighing my options right now.

Any comments?

Oren Arieli August 20th, 2011 12:27 AM

Re: Graphic Designers and Logo Designs

A well crafted logo is a good starting point. Especially if you're trying to become a brand. I'm not sure it will turn a $50K business into a million dollar one, but I'm pretty sure that most successful companies have a logo that was a result of a professional designer and lots of planning. There is an art to choosing the right fonts/colors/shapes that resonate emotionally with the clients. I paid almost $1000 for my logo, but did it in trade for a video. There are sites such as Freelance Web Designers, Programmers, Writers. Custom Web Design. Freelance Projects & Jobs that will allow graphic artists to bid on your project.

For a more personal touch, find someone local. In the south bay, I went with Anna and Erin of Mixed Palette.
M I X E D P A L E T T E

Jaime Espiritu August 20th, 2011 12:39 AM

Thanks, Oren!

My goal is get people to take notice so I can get more customers. At this point, getting some income because of the logo would be great. I'm not at the 50K level and technically, It's my 2nd year in business trying to attract my more of my market niche.

I've got the creative skills but just learning the business side right now.

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into it.

Andrew Smith August 20th, 2011 02:30 AM

Jaime,

I'm actually a graphic designer myself. Just a few quick notes ....

Don't bother with the "design contest"/bidding type sites. You possibly get some pretty thing and the designer usually only gets peanuts. Besides, "free pitching" doesn't work.

A potential client once said to me "I want you to design me a logo that I'll absolutely love". To which I replied "no you don't". I further explained to him that you really want a logo that is going to set up the right kind of mental image of your business in the mind of the sort of customer that you want to target, and pre-sell you as much as possible. When the logo works for your business in that respect, then you'll love it so much that you will never want to change it. He understood what I was saying.

Bottom line: your logo is an extension of the marketing aspect of your business plan. It's also the visual foundation of the other collateral (brochures, cards etc) that you will have produced after that point.

Prepare a comprehensive brief and invest in a good designer that creates something that works, not just something that is pretty.

Andrew

PS. A good designer will also be better at foreseeing how an element such as your logo (or photography etc) will work down the track in conjunction with other elements. We're good that way in the same manner as how you can auto-see in your head how a script is going to work out when it comes to shooting.

Jaime Espiritu August 20th, 2011 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Smith (Post 1676282)

Bottom line: your logo is an extension of the marketing aspect of your business plan. It's also the visual foundation of the other collateral (brochures, cards etc) that you will have produced after that point.

Prepare a comprehensive brief and invest in a good designer that creates something that works, not just something that is pretty.

Thank, Andrew. I get it. I found a great design brief article on how to create a brief. The questions will definitely guide the designer in the right direction and maximize my time and the designer's.

[And just think...I thought all you had to do was find a standard graphic and stick my name on it.]

Andrew Smith August 20th, 2011 10:04 AM

LOL. (re sticking your name on a standard graphic)

Also, the better a designer knows your business, the more he/she can generate collateral in the future that gets it right the first time. Invest in the relationship and you will still benefit in the long run.

The good thing is that you are actually hustling rather than doing 'business by default'.

Andrew

Greg Fiske August 20th, 2011 07:07 PM

We just started the branding process. My recommendation would be to look at brands that fit your style and then work backwards. Designers post their portfolios online and you can find who they've worked with. We budgeted 1-3k.

Andrew Smith August 21st, 2011 04:06 AM

This can actually be the same sort of mistake as mentioned before. If you start going for something that "fits your style" then you are actually inadvertently eliminating possibilities by narrowing your range of focus. You really need to keep all options open at the beginning.

Also, you don't want to look like someone else. You want to be as separated from your competition in both "name space" as well as visual identity. In some industries this isn't always possible, but it's certainly the ideal.

There's certainly nothing wrong with spending 1 to 3k, or with finding a designer with experience in solving problems ... which is what good design is really all about (when we aren't colouring in :-> ).

Andrew

Adam Gold August 21st, 2011 10:45 AM

Speaking of Logo Designs and working for free, but really apropos of nothing, this discussion made me think of this website below which I think is pretty hilarious. I'm pretty sure I got it from this forum originally but I can't find the thread. Obviously it has nothing to do with anyone here but worth a chuckle. NSFW.

"It's like twitter. Except we charge people to use it."

Sorry to go off on an irrelevant tangent.

Andrew Smith August 21st, 2011 11:42 AM

Don't mess with your graphic designer.

Or get them to work on your missing cat poster. :-)

Andrew