Posting wedding highlights before final version? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old October 27th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #1
Major Player

Posting wedding highlights before final version?

I was wondering if there is some kind of unspoken etiquette or not about posting a couple's highlights video on a videographer's website before the final video is given to the couple. One clause in my contract says I can use a portion of the video for promotional purposes on either my website or media, but I didn't specify if I have to wait until they have the video on their hands or not. If I was the client it wouldn't bother me if my videographer posted a highlights video before having the final video, actually I would prefer it so I can email the link to friends and family, but I don't know if that's normally done or not. What do you think?
Sebastian Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Posting wedding highlights before final version?

I wouldn't but the reason is I wouldn't want to do anything that gives them a reason to say, "Hey, change this to that" before the contract was closed. My advice is finish their job, get the check then go do your marketing. GL
Kawika Ohumukini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 04:32 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Posting wedding highlights before final version?

In common with many other videographers we like to post a highlights video as soon as possible. Ideally within a couple of days after the wedding certainly within a week or so ready for when they get back from honeymoon. We often refer to it as a trailer for the main feature. It serves several purposes. Firstly it gives the B&G something to view & show their friends straight after the wedding. Secondly it's also damn good advertising for us once they start forward links to all the friends on Facebook.

You shouldn't need to be asking permission to post a highlights video you should be positively offering it to the couple if not charging extra.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business