Dolby License? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old November 2nd, 2011, 05:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Dolby License?

I was just reading my deliverables requirements for the distribution of my film and there is a section asking for a copy of the applicable license from Dolby Labs.

I did not use Dolby formats in the recording of the material, but when you create a DVD Compressor's standard setting for DVD audio uses "Dolby Digital Professional 2.0". Anybody know if this needs licensing?

I'm passing on the ProRes 422 master to the distribution company and I don't think that they are using my Compressor encoded files for their DVD sales. But, it never occurred to me that I may need to obtain a license for something included a software package.

Anybody have experience at this?
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2011, 03:58 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Dolby License?

From what I understand the license for the Dolby processing included with most of the popular NLE and DVD creation software generally allows for its use in the preparation of sound tracks for personal and non-commercial use only.. Broadcast, theatrical performance, or commercial sale requires you obtain further licenses from Dolby labs. A perusal of their website should provide more details.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 11:49 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: Dolby License?

I checked the Dolby site and couldn't find anything. I'll bring this up when I meet with the lawyers or else I'll bug my distributor for help. Its funny that in the paper work for having DVDs (and CDs) pressed, they never ask about a License for Dolby technologies...

I was hoping some one here might have some experience with deliverables - just trying to get as many of these issues conquered by myself.
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #4
Major Player

Wow

I haven't had too much luck with the Dolby web site in respect to licensing "Dolby Digital Professional 2.0" that is used by Apple's Compressor for encoding audio to DVD. So I dug out that little book that comes with Final Cut Pro Studio that has all the legal information - wow that was interesting!!

Do you know that FCPS only licenses MPEG2, MPEG4, and H.264 for "personal and non-commercial uses only" and all other uses requires licenses from the respective owners.

I would bet this is the same for other NLEs too.

I'm shocked...
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business