Does light hire include the cost of bulb replacement? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old November 10th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Does light hire include the cost of bulb replacement?

Hey there,

I've always had my own kit, so never had to hire. But I am being asked to hire out my kit.

If I set a realistic price for the hire of the lights, does it include the cost of spare bulbs if they require changing during their shoot? I don't know what the hire shops do.

The reason I ask is that some of the bulbs cost almost as much as the hire of the kit per day. For example, Lowel Rifa 55 replacement 500w bulb is nearly £30. They normally last for ages, but only if looked after. If the crew dismantle them before they have chance to cool down, for example, they do burn out.

Anyone else here have experience of hiring lighting gear?
Old November 10th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Does light hire include the cost of bulb replacement?

Generally out here when you rent lights it does. At least I've always been given one extra whenever I've rented lights before. It would be best to confirm it and discuss it with the rental house.

BTW - I'm assuming your definition of "hire" is equivalent to renting for me.

-Garrett
Old November 10th, 2011, 06:30 PM   #3
Major Player

When I hire gear, I expect it to be ready to use, with spares and such on hand & included in the price. Mics with batteries, lights with bulbs, cameras with heads cleaned, et cetera. Your gear goes out the door, you are taking a risk. Wear and tear is part of the package -- but it is your part, as owner, to absorb.

If you feel your gear isn't being treated right, don't rent it ... Some of the shops I've hired from 'offered' a very low cost grip as part of the package -- so cheap, I'd be crazy not to add them on. I assume the shop is subsidizing the day rate for the grip out of the gear price ... but that way they know who & how the gear is being handled.

Cheers,
GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Well, I had a look at hire shop prices for renting out lighting kit. So I stayed on the same scale/rates.

The trouble is, say they man-handle the kit and a bulb blows - That's the cost of one-day's hire of the entire kit. How on earth could hire shops make any money off that? In fact I could end up *down* on hiring out the gear. If they were to use up three or four bulbs over a three day hire, that costs more than the entire hire.

Seems silly to me, that a high-cost bulb could be included in the package of a lo-cost hire.
Old November 12th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #5
Major Player

Well, here's another 'silly' --

I rent your kit, and I'm gentle and meticulous -- you couldn't ask for a better client. And ten minutes into it, the bulb blows because it already has its 150 hours on it. Not from me, I've used it ten minutes ...

And you expect me to buy a new bulb so I can continue to use the kit I rented.

Cheers,
GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business