DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Endless requested tweaks to edit (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/504149-endless-requested-tweaks-edit.html)

Peter Dunphy January 6th, 2012 10:41 AM

Endless requested tweaks to edit

Hi Guys

At the moment my terms state that one set of minor changes may be requested by a client, and any requested changes after that are subject to a minimum half day rate. However, so far, I've not enforced this since I've found myself doing endless requested tweaks and sometimes radical changes to an edit for not a cent extra.

I would love to beef my terms up a bit to be a bit more comprehensive.

I'm thinking of stating in terms something along the lines of:

----
'You have have one opportunity to submit a single (1) "Edit Changes Document" as either a PDF, email or physical letter, which can be as long as you need it to be. You are strongly encouraged to make this single document as comprehensive as possible since this is the only chance you have to submit changes while remaining with our Agreed Fee. Describe thoroughly the use of sound and music and detail all times from when the change should commence, until when the change should end (e.g. from 2 mins 15 secs to 4 mins 20 secs - remove music so we only hear the dialogue).

You will still be able to approve the changes you have requested, to ensure they are completed to your complete satisfaction.

Any further document or request (PDF, email, physical letter or verbal) submitted after the single "Edit Changes Document" containing any changes or tweaks whatsoever (these include modifications to previously requested changes) will be subject to a rate of a minimum of the half-day editing rate, regardless of the extent of the change or tweak to be performed.

Changes or tweaks refer to, for example, repositioning of shots, duration of shots, modifying motion graphics (titles and captions), adjusting sound and music.'

------

What do you guys think?

Craig Parkes January 6th, 2012 07:17 PM

Re: Endless requested tweaks to edit

I think a solution to this, if possible, is to always try and schedule a client supervised FINAL viewing. No one thinks anything is final until they have a delivery version in their hand, but if they know there is a set date where they have to be physically present to sign off, in person, all the changes, then it becomes a lot more obvious that any further work will be additional.

Craig Seeman January 6th, 2012 10:59 PM

I allow no room for no open ended anything with unspecified amounts of time.

If my contract specifies five days for editing, that includes revisions. After the clock runs out they have to pay for more time. I keep the client informed. When they get the first cut for approval they know how much time they have left. When they ask for revisions I tell them what I think can get done in the time remaining and prioritize with them in case the clock runs out. At that point they can buy more time.

Peter Dunphy January 9th, 2012 09:02 PM

Thanks Craig S and Craig P for your very helpful feedback. I really appreciate it.

Peter Dunphy January 9th, 2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 1707912)
I allow no room for no open ended anything with unspecified amounts of time.

If my contract specifies five days for editing, that includes revisions. After the clock runs out they have to pay for more time. I keep the client informed. When they get the first cut for approval they know how much time they have left. When they ask for revisions I tell them what I think can get done in the time remaining and prioritize with them in case the clock runs out. At that point they can buy more time.

When you offer them to buy more time, it is best to charge them by the half-day do you think?

Dylan Couper January 10th, 2012 03:27 PM

Make sure you include a time frame for them to complete their revisions in. Otherwise they could take 3 months to get them to you, and that's 3 months longer it's going to take to get the final payment.

Allan Black January 10th, 2012 04:14 PM

Unfortunately there are clients who'll want endless changes or as they might tell you 'improvements' to their show till they drive you crazy.

There are labels for these people. Control Freaks, Hollywood Harrys and Fuddy Duddies are a few of the ones I can include here.

If you suspect one of this group, here's a ploy you might try. Before your first client preview, leave one unimportant 'wrong' detail
in the show that can be easily altered or re-edited .. with minimum effort on your part.

A common spelling mistake in a graphic is an easy one, wrong year listed or a lower case. If you have a client who has to find fault
with everything they get involved with, that might easily get you off the hook.

If it's your first project for him and his name is listed in the credits, watch his face as his name appears. I've seen a clients eyes bulge right out
and the adrenalin rush was so fierce he couldn't stand up.

There's a clue right there.

Works for wedding clients too, especially bridezillars and their mothers.

Cheers.

Peter Dunphy January 10th, 2012 08:42 PM

Tremendous advice Dylan and Allan, thanks so much!

"I've seen a clients eyes bulge right out and the adrenalin rush was so fierce he couldn't stand up." - So funny! Had you misspelt or lower-cased their name on purpose? Or was this simply the rush of seeing their name in the credits?

Allan Black January 11th, 2012 12:54 AM

Peter, yes what happened was, this particular 'client' didn't know his name WAS going to appear in the credits.

HIS boss suggested I include it, to keep our 'client' off HIS back with deranged addendums to the soundtracks narration.
That would almost mean a return to square one and I wasn't going to do that.

I believe our 'client' was still sitting there when we packed the DVD up and turned the lights out. One for the home team :)

Cheers.

Peter Dunphy January 12th, 2012 10:01 AM

Ha ha brilliant Allan!

Dylan Couper January 12th, 2012 01:19 PM

Great story Allan!

Good advice too that's often forgotten... include the client in the credit as Producer or Executive Producer with a full page to their own name. KaBAM.

Peter Dunphy January 18th, 2012 10:44 AM

Nice one Dylan, thanks!

Scott Brooks January 22nd, 2012 04:02 PM

The way your post reads it almost sounds like you're inviting the client to make changes. I no longer shoot weddings, but in the 20+ years I don't recall anymore than 3 clients asking for a change. One was because the parents of the bride had divorced right after the ceremony. The second was because of a reference to an old girlfriend by a guest (I had no idea who she was) and the third was a typo on my part.

I keep it short and sweet. I'm sure I borrowed this verbiage from someone else, but I've just never had any problems.

"The shooting and editing of video footage shall be carried out at the discretion of SBV. No special footage is guaranteed to be included. Obvious errors on the part of SBV such as misspelled names shall be corrected if SBV is notified within 72 hours of delivery of the video. Any additional editing is billed at $150 per hour with a one-hour minimum."

Peter Dunphy January 26th, 2012 10:26 AM

Thanks Scott that's very useful. I appreciate it.