DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Nailing down a file format for delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/505096-nailing-down-file-format-delivery.html)

Peter Dunphy February 8th, 2012 05:15 AM

Nailing down a file format for delivery

Hi Guys

My terms had stated that the completed video will be delivered as a "digital file". However, I've had a client come back with requests for the file in all manner of formats (Windows Media to compressed MP4 for web streaming to Quicktime to DVD), aspect ratios and sizes (actual file size limits, data rates and data limits). I've provided these to the client, putting it down to experience, but feel that my current "digital file" statement is wide open to interpretation, so I would like to nail this down.

To update my terms, I'm thinking that a 'letter of engagement' the client must agree to prior to me beginning the work must state all of the exact digital file format(s), aspect ratios, data rates, data limits they require their delivered video to be in. If they don't specify anything, they will be furnished with a 'default' top quality Quicktime file. Then, should they change their mind about their requested delivery formats etc AFTER they've agreed on the letter of engagement, the additional encoding will be subject to extra cost.

How does that sound to you?

Warm regards

Peter

Mike Watson February 8th, 2012 08:59 AM

Re: Nailing down a file format for delivery

Open MPEG Streamclip.

Command-B, open a batch.

Drop your completed export in there.

Make how ever many versions they want.

Start the batch.

Go to bed.

Awaken the next morning.

Zip the files, deliver to happy client.

We are not talking about going out and shooting more footage, or hiring a crew, or you having to continuously turn a crank while your videos compress. You type some numbers into a computer program and then wait for it to finish. I don't know what part of this business you're in, but my clients don't have the first idea what "exact digital file format(s), aspect ratios, data rates, data limits" they require - if they did, they wouldn't need me.

Peter Dunphy February 8th, 2012 10:57 AM

Okay fair enough Mike, thanks for giving me some perspective on it.

Rob Neidig February 10th, 2012 10:43 AM

I agree with Mike that batch processing is an efficient way to deal with multiple formats. I hope that people are accounting for that in their overall cost of the job, though. Even though it's just the computer sitting there working away, it's time that should be paid for. It costs you for overhead, electricity, eventually upgrading your computer, etc. Just my $.02.

Have fun!

Rob

Peter Dunphy February 13th, 2012 12:21 PM

That's great Rob thanks. The particular client kept asking every week for an additional format in different ratio, size, data rate etc which was a bit frustrating. I'd be happy to batch process the whole lot in one go, but this one was dragging out quite a bit. Thanks again for your feedback.

Roger Van Duyn February 14th, 2012 09:13 AM

Sounds similar to the problem with the client in this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-c...eaks-edit.html

Sometimes you run into a person that's just never satisfied. (It's not the same client, is it?) They can really alienate people if they don't watch it. Perfectionism should be the eighth deadly sin.

Mike Watson February 15th, 2012 02:11 PM

After I got tired of making their dupes, I start to get harder to get ahold of. When they make a request for another, different encode, I tell them I'll get to it as soon as I can - end of next week or the beginning of the week after.

Shaun Roemich February 15th, 2012 02:44 PM

I charge a nominal fee to set up a render/batch export with as many formats as they require (within reason). If they require something after the fact that wasn't on the list, I charge the fee again... ASSUMING it's something that takes more than 5 minutes. Gets clients to get their requirements sorted out usually.

Peter Dunphy February 22nd, 2012 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Van Duyn (Post 1715117)
Sounds similar to the problem with the client in this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-c...eaks-edit.html

Sometimes you run into a person that's just never satisfied. (It's not the same client, is it?) They can really alienate people if they don't watch it. Perfectionism should be the eighth deadly sin.

Hi Roger

Yeah same client! All done and dusted now thank goodness!

Peter

Peter Dunphy February 22nd, 2012 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich (Post 1715313)
I charge a nominal fee to set up a render/batch export with as many formats as they require (within reason). If they require something after the fact that wasn't on the list, I charge the fee again... ASSUMING it's something that takes more than 5 minutes. Gets clients to get their requirements sorted out usually.

Good advice Shaun thanks :)