DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Marketing dilemma (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/505175-marketing-dilemma.html)

Stephen Boss February 10th, 2012 11:57 PM

Marketing dilemma

I have a bit of a dilemma I need advice on. I shot some material that I decided I wanted to try and bring to the retail market. So I went around to some retailers and most of them expressed interest in carrying my "product". However, a number of them, after viewing the content, said they would not be interested simply because it had some nudity in it (nothing X rated mind you). Now you're probably thinking no big deal, just remove the nudity and problem solved, right?

Well, there in lies my dilemma. Removing the nudity from the product completely changes the artistic vision of the piece. I want the product in the stores, but I don't want to have to change my artistic vision to get it there. My question to everyone is... am I making too big a deal about this? Should I remove the nudity from the content, just so I can get more retailers to carry my product and earn more money, or should I stand by my artistic vision and just do the best I can with the retailers who are willing to carry it?

Sorry for not getting into extra specific details, but it's better that way.

Don Bloom February 11th, 2012 06:57 AM

Re: Marketing dilemma

Ask yourself this. How bad do I want to sell my product vs. maintain my artistic integrity?

It's a simple question which demands a simple answer and only you can answer it. You have to live with yourself and look at yourself in the mirror everyday.

Since the retailers don't want the product as is, then you either have to change it or find other retail outlets that will use it as is, although it sounds like that might be a very limited market.

You have to choose, no one else can do that for you.

I know your pain. Be there, done that.

Jim Michael February 11th, 2012 09:01 AM

Marketing to wrong group? Maybe find retailers that service those to whom the film would appeal, e.g. North Beach goers. Widen marketing area, would it sell on Amazon? Other worldwide marketing venues? Would it or series deserve its own website to be sold directly? Would it generate buzz on Twitter? Are there social media outlets where word could get around?

Craig Seeman February 11th, 2012 11:44 AM

Market the censored version in the outlets that call for it.
Market an uncensored version where you can and boldly market it as such. You can call it the Director's Cut for example. It's not uncommon to do that these days.

Stephen Boss February 12th, 2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 1714670)
Market the censored version in the outlets that call for it.
Market an uncensored version where you can and boldly market it as such. You can call it the Director's Cut for example. It's not uncommon to do that these days.

I thought about doing this, but having thought it all over again I think the best thing for me to do (right now) is to stay as true to the vision as possible, and expand my retail network to include as many different outlets as I can (like Jim stated). I think ultimately, once my product is out there and people notice that it's doing well, a lot of the retailers who initially turn me down because of some nudity may change their stance.

Steve House February 12th, 2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Boss (Post 1714795)
I thought about doing this, but having thought it all over again I think the best thing for me to do (right now) is to stay as true to the vision as possible, and expand my retail network to include as many different outlets as I can (like Jim stated). I think ultimately, once my product is out there and people notice that it's doing well, a lot of the retailers who initially turn me down because of some nudity may change their stance.

Kudos to you! I'm sick of the resurgence of irrational prudery that has been evident over the recent couple of decades and it can only be reversed by courageous producers such as yourself refusing to let the blue-noses interfere with their artistic integrity. Good on ya and all best wishes for success.