How do you pay the help - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old March 5th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: How do you pay the help

Contractors (a.k.a. freelancers) send me an invoice and W9.

I do the same when I work for them.
Christian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 11:30 AM   #17
Major Player

Re: How do you pay the help

"A worker who has a risk of loss in his/her business activities may be an independent contractor. If not, the worker is generally an employee."

"In analyzing whether there is a continuing relationship, one should ask whether the worker is hired for an indefinite period or for a specific project with finite duration. If the worker is hired for an indefinite period the worker is considered an employee.(9) If the worker is working on a specific project with a finite duration, the worker may be either an employee or an independent contractor and the analysis should continue..."

Brian, Thanks for the link. In typical IRS fashion, the description is at best vague, bloated, and incomprehensible.

What I take away from this is that if a person works (even in an on going project) and is not covered by insurance, tax not with-held, health benefits, worker's comp, etc, that person is an independent contractor AKA, at least to me, a freelancer.

Even though these IC are not on a payroll, they could still make a claim because of loss or injury on the job, which is where workers comp comes into play. When I get hired for a project, I am requested to fill out a W-2 with FEIN and so on.

Jonathan
I'm just going by what my expensive account tells me.
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business