To charge or not to charge, that is the ?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old March 20th, 2012, 08:29 AM   #1
Major Player

To charge or not to charge, that is the ??

I shoot a benefit weekend event every year that a country singer puts on. I am hired but at a deep discounted rate. well I receive a call from his publicist needing some live footage for some promotional video that they want asap. Do I charge for the footage or just let them have it and use it as they please? If I don't charge should I ask for them to give me credit and send me a copy of what they put together? Give me your thoughts.
Lalo Alvidrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: To charge or not to charge, that is the ??

If they want promotional footage, it's to further their financial interests. You are due proper compensation for your work. Just try taking "credit" to the supermarket. Somehow, everybody wants something for nothing, and while that's common in the arts, it's not fair to you or the next guy this publicist wants to exploit. Just my 2 cents.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #3
Major Player

thanks for your 2 cents Battle.
Old March 20th, 2012, 10:42 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I think Battle's points are entirely valid and appropriate, they deserve consideration when we're approached for pro bono work. Devaluation of professional media production has become all too common.

OTOH, only you can decide what you want to volunteer for. Are you doing this work, contributing your time, because you believe in it?
Old March 20th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #5
Trustee

If it's footage to promote a charitable organization, and I believe in that organization (read: would donate money otherwise) then I'd let them use the footage free. If it's footage to promote the singer for business purposes, then I'd want some cash.

Credit is worthless. In fact, I generally do not want to be identified in projects unless I have complete control of the final product. If they end up doing a crappy job editing, or throw some other crappy footage in, I don't want my name anywhere near it.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #6
Major Player

Well come to find out it was promoting the artist and the charitable organization as well so I decided to not charge for the footage. I did ask for credit even though I may be taking a risk on that but in the past it really hasn't paid off in helping my business out. Never hurts to try though. thanks for you input on this subject.
Old March 21st, 2012, 06:52 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I'd have charged them for your footage, maybe at a discount ... if only in case that side of it escalates.

Once your material 'gets out' you don't want to be worried about where it ends up, that could eventually sour your relationship.

And I'd decide now, what you tell any other organisation which finds out and contacts you about similar generous contributions.

Good for you though Lalo, it's great to help charities ... as long as it doesn't get beyond your control.

Cheers.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:16 AM   #8
Trustee

As someone who is married to a fundraiser for a charity organization, I can tell you that most employees of charities are paid very well. In other words... They don't work for free!

I will donate my time and money to help different charities, but I don't WORK for free.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business