Gear for Rent? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old March 30th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #1
Major Player

Gear for Rent?

Hey guys,

I have some pretty expensive gear that is pretty much not doing anything kinda often when I'm working on other things.. What are you guys doing to rent gear out? Is there a website you can list items for rent? Like the classifieds here, but not for sale, just for rent?

Thanks guys,
Louis
Old March 31st, 2012, 05:03 AM   #2
Slash Rules!

Re: Gear for Rent?

As a general rule, I wouldn't do it.

There are a few people in town I know to be "real" professionals in the video production industry who I'd trust, but outside of that, no way!

The exception is if you could take a large deposit in addition to the rental fee, so if Joe Blow breaks or steals your gear, you're covered. Or do they thing where you run a credit card transaction for the purchase price, but don't process it unless something happens to the gear.

Some people (the renters, I mean) have proper insurance for rentals, but who wants to deal with insurance companies?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 06:04 PM   #3
Major Player

I have rented out my gear a number of times, and always require a deposit, a credit card authorization form for the full purchase price of the gear (doesn't get run unless it doesn't come bad) or proof of insurance... Usually its proof of insurance, and I do a pretty good job screening who the gear goes out to.... just curious if there are any outlets where I can list it for rent.

I'm listed on RedUser, but that the only place I know of that has a rental forum.
Old March 31st, 2012, 06:58 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I would stay away from any public listing site. Nothing but trouble.

I do rent my gear out but only to locals that I either know personally or come from solid references of people I know personally.

The other items such as a copy of their insurance certificate (in advance so I can check it out) and a deposit is mandatory.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business