Dressing For An Interview. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old April 13th, 2012, 05:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Dressing For An Interview.

Sorry if this is the wrong place.

I have an interview for a full time Camera Operator job in the UK and want some advice on how to dress. I've never had a media interview before.

Suit and tie is out. But where is the happy medium between that going dressed like Winnie the Pooh?

Its for a professional company that does mainly corporate videos. Their website has videos of the team that definitely portrays them as laid back etc.

I was thinking trousers, collar and shoes but then I think that still looks too much like a suit and a tie.
But then im not sure what is the appropriate next step down, surely jeans, no matter how smart are always a big fat no?
Shaun Forsdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 06:12 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: Dressing For An Interview.

Moved from HH to TCB. Good luck on your interview.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Trustee

I've been a manager and/or a business owner for most of my 30 year working life. I've conducted many interviews and the only time I cared about what a person was wearing was when they were sloppy and unkempt. If the person looked clean and tidy, I didn't care about or even notice their clothing.

Just wear clean, unwrinkled, untorn clothing and don't worry about that aspect of the interview.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 08:45 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Additionally, in my experience, a simple thing like tucking in your shirt and wearing a belt goes a long way toward making a good first impression.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #5
Trustee

Shaun,

I noticed that you are in England. Is your interview there or in the US or for a US company? What s appropriate may depend on where your interview is and what is normal for that area.

I've conducted a lot of interviews of perspective employees and I have to say that what a person is wearing does say a lot to me. You are correct that at suit and tie is probably overkill but if anything be slightly overdressed instead of under. For a job interview do not rely on what you see on their website as an indication for what to wear. For an interview I would suggest you wear a long sleeve button up shirt, slacks, and a sport coat if you are not going to wear a suit. Tie is optional if the culture of the company is more laid back.

What you wear should give the message that you are professional and reliable.

Just my two cents,
Garrett
Old April 13th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I have a couple of very interesting experiences where dress made all the difference.

I was editor at a facility in which the engineers was interviewing for engineers and assistant editors. Someone showed up to an interview impeccably dressed in a suit and tie. After the interview the Chief Engineer said he was very good but he wasn't going to hire him.

I asked why and he responded that there were a couple of reasons, one is that he wants the clients to feel comfortable when the come here to work and they're not going to feel at ease when staff wear suit and ties. He also said that he felt unsure about how he represented his experience because people in this industry don't come to work like that.

_______

The next one is a personal experience. I went to an interview looking like a real disaster, cloths askew and filthy and hair a mess. At the end of the interview he told me to come back tomorrow. I asked if it was for part 2 of an interview with other decision makers. He said, No, I want you to start tomorrow. He immediately ceased interviewing anyone else and hired me on the spot.

After I had been there some time I asked him how he came to his decision especially given how I looked. He said, that since I had just come from a shoot and looked like that, he knew I was. 1) a hard worker given that I was a mess, 2) was genuinely working and ambitious enough to look for a step up so I must be a very motivated individual, 3) Being on time was so important that I was willing to show up like that rather than try to clean up and arrive late.

______
I'd say dress as you genuinely would for the job you're applying for and if you're coming from work to the interview and look like it, may say more good about you then cleaning up.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #7
Major Player

If two people of equal skill & ability show up at my office for an interview, one wearing a suit & tie and the other T-shirt & Tevas, which one do you think I'll hire?

Yep, suit & tie wins - respect for self and respect for others.
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:38 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Collar, casual tie and slacks.

Remove all cigarette stains, cover all tats, get your hair cut and don't chew gum. Carry a biro that works and turn your cell phone off.

Carefully shine and wear your best shoes in case the job involves shooting with their clients.

Plan to arrive 30 mins early for the interview in case of holdups, the traffic not a robbery. Good luck.

Cheers.
Old April 14th, 2012, 07:26 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Cheers everyone.

Trousers, collar/shirt, shoes with a v neck sweater I think is the winner.
Shaun Forsdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 01:34 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Dressed by dvinfo.net ... that's a first. All the best at the interview, let's know how you go.

Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business